Scooter in Morocco

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by maybe tomorrow, Dec 3, 2012.

1. maybe tomorrow

maybe tomorrow Read Only Funster

Hi all, recently signed up to motorhome fun. This is our first post so please be gentle!
    We're looking to cross into Morocco in January in our motorhome & Scooter. We have a green card for the motorhome, do we need a green card for the scooter too?
    Thanks advance

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Yes you do. Also you will need all original docs, ie, logbook etc in your name. If your scooter insurer wont give you a green card then Moroccan insurance can be bought as you get off the ferry in Tangier.

3. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Scooting in Morocco

Hi,

I agree with the previous response. The V5 will also almost certainly be needed at the border as you "import" your vehicles. On a lighter note, your scooter will come in handy in some of the souks, where you spend almost as much time dodging local lads on mopeds as shopping, despite the narrow alleys! You'll enjoy the trip, but beware the police radar traps, especially those on the last few miles into Essaouira from the Marrakech side. Several of our party got caught, and there are no warnings. In our case the kindly policeman gave us back 100 or the 300 Dirham fine for allegedly doing 92 in an 80 limit. We didn't argue, but we didn't get a ticket or receipt so your guess as to where the 200 went is as good as mine!

The local kids line the roads and wave everywhere, which cheers you no end, but some did throw stones at us (only twice though in a whole month). The driving standards over there are something else, so keep your eyes peeled and don't be surprise if you find someone approaching you on your side of the road (even on a dual). Might be a bike, a moped, a donkey or even a cow, sheep or goat!

Gary :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We've still got the mark on the passenger window, it sounded like a bullet hit it. This was Chefchauen. Great pity because as you say the people we lovely everywhere else.

Scooter: Choose your roads when to use it, a dirt bike would suit many. We gave up on push bikes once, before the frame snapped or we did. Not a main road but a regular road.

"maybe tomorrow" not good enough for FUN "Definitely Tomorrow" is acceptable.

5. maybe tomorrow

maybe tomorrow Read Only Funster

Thanks

Wow... quick response! thanks all for your speedy replies and advice, we will look to get it when we arrive.

6. f6c

f6c Funster

Please let me know how you get on with scooter as I intend to use my scooter in morocco in October next year!:Wink: