Scooter/bikes 12 year old disabled son (1 Viewer)

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We plan to travel around the UK this summer 2 weeks at a time, go to Spain for 6 weeks in September and travel Europe next year.
Our problem is we have a 12 year old large disabled son, he cannot use his right hand/arm leg very well. So cannot ride a bike but can balance.
We have a large 24ft motorhome with garage.
We like exploring so need to get into towns/villages which may be 4 miles away from the motorhome.
We cannot have 2 mopeds due to weight restrictions.

We have looked at getting one moped, then I can drop off Liz and come back to the motorhome to pick up our 12 year old son.
Or
Get 2 electric bikes with a tag along(extra wheel and seat) for our son but he may be to big for one of these?

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Suggest you p.m. me

Hi

As most of the members know I am disabled and use a disabled scooter, in fact we have two of them we take to shows and on our travels.

We also have a Chris Elliott scooter trailer (for sale uprated and under half the price of a new lower spec one) that takes a couple scooters and is under there 750 kgs so it is non brake type and can be towed behind a B + E (under 3,500kgs) or if you have grandad rights behind a 7,500 kgs max as an e entitlement if you have it.

Depends on if you have a class II or III scooter (class III has a number plate these days and road tax (free) .. the weight that be carried on them and how far they can travel can be the issue.. also the charging of them.. anyway p.m. for more details on various issues.. that's if you wish...

Bob

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your wife is happy to ride an electric bike then why not 1 x electric bike and 1 x scooter ?? I am assuming you mean motorbike style scooter and not a disability one..!

You could follow her, no one says you have to speed along... A 50cc scooter with 2 up should be okay if all you want to do is low speed. Probably the lightest option as well regarding scooters.. I have a 50cc and it's 75kg.

I would still be worried on the weight issue, check the garage weight loading very carefully and also the back axle weights. anything you load at the rear has to be multiplied by a factor as much as 1.5 times its true weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
If your wife is happy to ride an electric bike then why not 1 x electric bike and 1 x scooter ?? I am assuming you mean motorbike style scooter and not a disability one..!

You could follow her, no one says you have to speed along... A 50cc scooter with 2 up should be okay if all you want to do is low speed. Probably the lightest option as well regarding scooters.. I have a 50cc and it's 75kg.

I would still be worried on the weight issue, check the garage weight loading very carefully and also the back axle weights. anything you load at the rear has to be multiplied by a factor as much as 1.5 times its true weight.

A 90cc scooter should not be much heavier as it will need to carry 23 stone.
We are not planning to go far or very fast but it will be up hills.
I have a full motorbike licience and my wife has a car licience (not sure what the law is as it was 25 years ago I last rode a motorbike?

The motorhome has been uprated by 250kgs to 4250kgs and has underfloor storage so we should hopefully be able to spread some of the weight to the front axle.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Theres only one way to check the weight, stick in on your local weighbridge. All the calculations in the world don't mean a thing when you get stopped for being overloaded.
When I wanted to carry my m/bike in the garage loads of people advised it was'nt possible well it is possible and we still have 235 kgs load left on the rear axles. We just loaded it up with everything we wanted to carry and then took it to be weighed "Simples"::bigsmile:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Hand Bike

Hi
Is your son walking wounded or uses a wheelchair. I have recently bought a HandBike with electric power back up. It attaches to a Solid type chair.
There is also a electric only attachment which we have seen a good few on Ebay at a lower cost,

Will be posting a few pics hopefully over the weekend to show what it looks like.

This may be a alternative method to use, as you could use a push bike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
Is your son walking wounded or uses a wheelchair. I have recently bought a HandBike with electric power back up. It attaches to a Solid type chair.
There is also a electric only attachment which we have seen a good few on Ebay at a lower cost,

Will be posting a few pics hopefully over the weekend to show what it looks like.

This may be a alternative method to use, as you could use a push bike.

He can walk ok but cannot ride a bike and steer. he would only be able to ride one handed as his other hand and arm does not work that well.
He can ride a quadbike but can only turn in one direction.
We also need to be able to travel a few miles into towns and cities.
The moped and electric bike option sounds the best idea at the moment

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back