Schaudt LR1218 - Regulator (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2000
Hi everybody, I'm new to your forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I have just fitted a 150 watt solar panel to my van, ( a 2004 Hymer B654 ) using a Schaudt 1218 regulator wired to a EBL99 Electroblock, but because my control panel in my van is the old analog type I have no way of knowing how much the solar panel is feeding to my leisure batteries. I'd like to fit an Amp meter, something like a Fox D1 monitor, and wondered if anybody has any views / ideas on this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Sime.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am sorry I can't assist with your query but welcome to the fun

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:hiya2: and welcome to the house of fun. I too do not have any idea about your intended plans, but I do think too many people get too het up about what goes in and what comes out of the batts. I have a set of green amber and red lights on my panel and you have to get up and press them to see the state of the batts, so I have a plug in volt meter and as long as it shows me 12.4/6 + at the start of the evening, I am happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have the LR1218 regulator, ebl99 and analog gauge. I just look to see if battery power gauge shows power going in and look at battery gauge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi..
also have the same set up.. on a Hymer.. but not concerned about what is going in from the 2 solar panels..

The voltmeter on the Hymer panel tells you the state of charge.. all I need to know.. (check at night when panels are not charging )

besides .. what would you do with this extra information... ?

that's my view..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Used to show it on my 1996 hymer but if battery's are near to full charge not many amps are put in to the batts so amp meter looks as if it's doing nothing the only time I noticed it working I wS off hook up for over a week and the meter would go to about 2 amps and would drop and rise as the sun went behind clouded sky

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have the same set-up in my Hymer (LR1218, EBL99 and IT992 analogue panel). Obviously, it does not tell me too much detail, but the right-hand meter definitely shows the charging current going in from the solar panel. The best I have ever seen is around 7 amps in very good sunlight nearer to the Med. In the UK, it is more normal to see around 3-5 amps under good conditions. That is for a 135 watt panel.
In case you had not realised, the charging current will fall away as the batteries become full. So, the best way to see what the panel is yielding is to check the meter early in the morning in good sunlight, following an evening of fair battery usage. As the day wears on, you will get to the point where no current is flowing since the batteries will be recharged.
If you still want a 'singing and dancing' battery computer, the Victron is highly recommended but be aware that you will have to fit the dedicated shunt to the leisure battery. I'm not sure if this has the effect of making the Hymer control panel (IT992) redundant but you will still need it to control the EBL and read the tanks of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back