Schaudt LR1218 - Regulator

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by simonjfoley, Jun 10, 2016.

1. simonjfoley

simonjfoley Funster

Hi everybody, I'm new to your forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I have just fitted a 150 watt solar panel to my van, ( a 2004 Hymer B654 ) using a Schaudt 1218 regulator wired to a EBL99 Electroblock, but because my control panel in my van is the old analog type I have no way of knowing how much the solar panel is feeding to my leisure batteries. I'd like to fit an Amp meter, something like a Fox D1 monitor, and wondered if anybody has any views / ideas on this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Sime.

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I am sorry I can't assist with your query but welcome to the fun

3. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

:hiya2: and welcome to the house of fun. I too do not have any idea about your intended plans, but I do think too many people get too het up about what goes in and what comes out of the batts. I have a set of green amber and red lights on my panel and you have to get up and press them to see the state of the batts, so I have a plug in volt meter and as long as it shows me 12.4/6 + at the start of the evening, I am happy.

4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

5. Manic

Manic Funster

I have the LR1218 regulator, ebl99 and analog gauge. I just look to see if battery power gauge shows power going in and look at battery gauge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi..
    also have the same set up.. on a Hymer.. but not concerned about what is going in from the 2 solar panels..

The voltmeter on the Hymer panel tells you the state of charge.. all I need to know.. (check at night when panels are not charging )

besides .. what would you do with this extra information... ?

that's my view..

• Like Like x 2
  7. wizza

wizza Funster

Used to show it on my 1996 hymer but if battery's are near to full charge not many amps are put in to the batts so amp meter looks as if it's doing nothing the only time I noticed it working I wS off hook up for over a week and the meter would go to about 2 amps and would drop and rise as the sun went behind clouded sky

• Like Like x 1
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have the same set-up in my Hymer (LR1218, EBL99 and IT992 analogue panel). Obviously, it does not tell me too much detail, but the right-hand meter definitely shows the charging current going in from the solar panel. The best I have ever seen is around 7 amps in very good sunlight nearer to the Med. In the UK, it is more normal to see around 3-5 amps under good conditions. That is for a 135 watt panel.
    In case you had not realised, the charging current will fall away as the batteries become full. So, the best way to see what the panel is yielding is to check the meter early in the morning in good sunlight, following an evening of fair battery usage. As the day wears on, you will get to the point where no current is flowing since the batteries will be recharged.
    If you still want a 'singing and dancing' battery computer, the Victron is highly recommended but be aware that you will have to fit the dedicated shunt to the leisure battery. I'm not sure if this has the effect of making the Hymer control panel (IT992) redundant but you will still need it to control the EBL and read the tanks of course.

9. simonjfoley

simonjfoley Funster

Thanks guys, for all your replys, much appreciated. Sime.

• Like Like x 3