Schaudt Electrobloc Chargers

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by JeanLuc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I realise this may be covering ground that many Funsters know already, but in the spirit of 'life-long learning', perhaps to newer members, I offer the following for those whose motorhomes are fitted with the Schaudt Electrobloc charging system.

A number of questions are asked very frequently concerning these topics:
    1. Does the starter battery receive a charge when on EHU?
    2. Should I fit a battery master or similar?
    3. How dangerous are electrical surges and should I fit a surge protector?
    4. What sort of solar regulator should I use?

This is, of course, just a small selection of the type of question that gets raised. There is no substitute for expert advice and there are many FUN trade members who are better placed than me to offer help. However, for anyone whose motorhome has a Schaudt charging system, I recommend reading the two sections of A&N Caravan Services website that I have linked below. I have seen comments about the idiosyncrasies of Shaudt Electroblocs, but having had one for seven years I think it is a good system and have found it useful to understand a bit more about how it works and what it does, and does not need in the way of after-market accessories.
    I have no link with A&N but have found their website very informative.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php
    http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

2. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Yes it does charge the starter battery.
    So no need for a battery master.
    Hearing stories of problems, yes a surge protector is worth while.
    What type of solar regulator depneds on weather you want to charge just the habitation battery or both.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Thanks for the backup information. Perhaps it was not clear in my original post, for which my apologies, that the answers - and much more - are in the links I provided.

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

They get my vote too. My recently purchased Hymer has the Schaudt unit & I found A&N when searching for info about it. They were able to supply me with a replacement outlet plug (one had overheated & melted) and a few extra plug pins so I could add feeds from it. Sensible prices & friendly to deal with.