Scary photo (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I recently changed the tyres on my 2007 Autocruise Starseeker. Ther were the original ones, and despite their being seven years old, they appeared in good shape. The photo below shows the crack that was in one of the sidewalls, which only became apparent once the tyre lever was in position. Has convince me that the need to change at less than 7 year intervals is not a scare story invented by tyre manufacturers.

Grrr....haven't managed to post pic.....
Third time lucky?

Attachments

• DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Tyre Trouble

Hi, thats a scary picture good job you changed your tyres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Doesn't look that scary to me, just a few cracks in the rubber exaggerated by the tyre lever. Good to change them regularly but to me that don't look dangerous.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
23118d1392374621-scary-photo-dsc_0096.jpg

is that a bit clearer?

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The tyre lever merely opened it up. Perhaps we have different scare thresholds, but to me it looked like the Grand Canyon. Especially when you think about the loads imposed on our tyres.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i notice their light truck tyres and not dedicated camper;

2 questions from me;

1. what was the manufacture date on the side wall ( they could be more than 7 years old )
2. The tyre manufacturers say that the camper tyres have reinforced sidewall to reduce this happeening. so should we stick to camper tyres?

however, that is very scarry:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
damn it, knew i shouldnt have looked, so scared by that there will be no sleep for me tonight. :Eeek:

It did need changing but its a cracked side wall...get over it.
Unless the cords are visible its not even an mot failure.

And why isnt the tyre fitter using a nylon slipper on the tyre lever shoe ?
Would he pay for scratch removal on your alloy wheel ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
23/06, so about June 2006. They were light van, as fitted by Autocruise - suspect this was before we had mh specific tyres...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
23/06, so about June 2006. They were light van, as fitted by Autocruise - suspect this was before we had mh specific tyres...
they will have been put on base vehicle at the factory where the base vehicle was made as a light truck chasses probably it didn't want to be a motor home :ROFLMAO:
probably it would have been happy as a light truck
motor home tyre's are a con

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they will have been put on base vehicle at the factory where the base vehicle was made as a light truck chasses probably it didn't want to be a motor home :ROFLMAO:
probably it would have been happy as a light truck
[HI]motor home tyre's are a con[/HI]
sorry bill but youre wrong there...motorhome specific tyres were developed to fill a specific need. they have reinforced sidewalls with double casing to stop them deforming so much under load

cut a van tyre and a camper tyre in half and you will see a real difference in thickness. millions were spent developing them and they are then sold for not much more than the equivalent premium brand tyre. hardly a con if you know the details

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I also find that ride quality on some van tyres is a bit on the bumpy side. Fact very bumpy side.:Smile:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
sorry bill but youre wrong there...motorhome specific tyres were developed to fill a specific need. they have reinforced sidewalls with double casing to stop them deforming so much under load

cut a van tyre and a camper tyre in half and you will see a real difference in thickness. millions were spent developing them and they are then sold for not much more than the equivalent premium brand tyre. hardly a con if you know the details

Also, a van Tyre is rarely under constant full load, (I don't like any of mine left loaded over night:Sad:, and a definite NO-NO over the weekend:Angry:) But my camper is always near full load, If I am not intending to use it for a week or two I leave it on Jacks, its gives the suspension a rest as well:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back