scarborough overnight (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can't believe where the old copper has gone, when he just come up and say hey you can't park here and move you on , now we have these yellow jacketed, barstools just waiting hopping you park there to give you a ticket.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Just as an addition to this discussion, having walked around the drive today I notice that the "No Motor Caravans between 11pm and 7am" signs have been removed, I guess due to the quandary (our corrupt and incompetent council are always in a quandary) whether they were legal or not. The only place they remain are right at the headland, where the parking space lengths are quite small.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
You can't believe where the old copper has gone, when he just come up and say hey you can't park here and move you on , now we have these yellow jacketed, barstools just waiting hopping you park there to give you a ticket.

I can assure you this is not and has not been for many years, a police matter. They are not interested in the slightest, this is a council matter only. The matter of parking enforcement has been the responsibility of the council for many years now and nothing to do with the police, unless parking is causing a danger to the public.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ok, right I don't know Scarborough but I draw in to this car park they are on about at 6 o clock tonight , no sign saying no motorhomes, or no parking, but there's a sign says park according to the order, how do I find out what the order is, and before you say Internet, I have no iPad and my phone is flat, before I find out , I shall be going anyway.
You can't find out so, as you don't know whether you would breach the order (but knowing general restrictions on camping in motorhomes in the UK) you play it safe and go elsewhere :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just as an addition to this discussion, having walked around the drive today I notice that the "No Motor Caravans between 11pm and 7am" signs have been removed, I guess due to the quandary (our corrupt and incompetent council are always in a quandary) whether they were legal or not. The only place they remain are right at the headland, where the parking space lengths are quite small.
History of this is at post #47.

As for the physical signs what I understand is this. The original on street signs were erected without an order to back them up. They were removed when the inability to enforce them was highlighted. There was then an interim order (which was perfectly legal) which covered a number of streets (with signage) during the consultation period. The consultation resulted in the number of restricted streets being reduced so, quite properly, the signs on the unrestricted streets were removed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Tesco is in the Town, small car park, very tight for cars, wouldn't even take our pvc in just to shop as it's very tight on the roads. It's 24 hours though so good for supplies when on foot.

Lin :)
What you forgot toention Lin.....
The carpark area furthest from the store front, presumable where you would want to be, is on a steepish slope....you would need to be tethered to your bed to be able to sleep there in comfort.
In front of the store is level but in full view of the store staff.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
I stayed in Scarborough last year and although you can park on marine drive during the day there is no overnight camping. However down at the sealife centre, north bay, you can park overnight. My wife found this out when we parked at site and she decided to have a bike ride. So the following night us, and another 29 motorhomes were parked just yards from the sea. You had to leave by 9 or10 the following morning unless you wanted to pay. But free otherwise.
29 motorhomes all overnighting? please confirm this before i can comment. steve.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Perhaps this is me but I am dismayed at the number of people who assume that something is not allowed just because a council tells them so.
Maybe it is the English way nowadays I don't know but do we all have to be so subservient to authority. !!!!
I would prefer to be alive and assume everything is allowed until I am told something to the contrary.
If all else fails then I will tell "Authority" that I am a gipsy and then what can they do?????
All local councils have a prescribed way of dealing with gypsies.

Broken Link Removed

Can the council remove gypsies/travellers from their land immediately?
No, the council must:

• show that the Gypsies/Travellers are on the land without consent;
  • make enquiries regarding the general health, welfare and children's education;
  • ensure that the Human Rights Acts 1998 has been fully complied with;
  • follow a set procedure in terms of proving ownership of land and details of the illegal encampment that will enable them to
  • successfully obtain the necessary authority from the Courts to order the Gypsies/Travellers to leave the site.

Deleted User
What you forgot toention Lin.....
The carpark area furthest from the store front, presumable where you would want to be, is on a steepish slope....you would need to be tethered to your bed to be able to sleep there in comfort.
In front of the store is level but in full view of the store staff.
Lol yes & if you're facing the right way will get a great view of the trains :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps this is me but I am dismayed at the number of people who assume that something is not allowed just because a council tells them so.
Maybe it is the English way nowadays I don't know but do we all have to be so subservient to authority. !!!!
I would prefer to be alive and assume everything is allowed until I am told something to the contrary.
If all else fails then I will tell "Authority" that I am a gipsy and then what can they do?????
All local councils have a prescribed way of dealing with gypsies.

Broken Link Removed

Can the council remove gypsies/travellers from their land immediately?
No, the council must:

• show that the Gypsies/Travellers are on the land without consent;
  • make enquiries regarding the general health, welfare and children's education;
  • ensure that the Human Rights Acts 1998 has been fully complied with;
  • follow a set procedure in terms of proving ownership of land and details of the illegal encampment that will enable them to
  • successfully obtain the necessary authority from the Courts to order the Gypsies/Travellers to leave the site.
I am dismayed by:
1. The number of people who can't, or won't, distinguish between one piece of legislation and another.
2. The inadequacy of traveller legislation which allows people who are not English Gypsies or Irish Travellers to claim they are in order to cheat the rest of us and frustrate local authorities who are trying to deal with them properly.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Not wishing to argue with you , but you keep saying the same thing, can't imagine why anyone has nothing better to do than keep looking through parking laws, if someone comes to a car park they aren't used to, how the hell are they supposed to know the current parking order.

Exactly and if a council cared to waste more taxpayers money by taking someone to court over this then they would be laughed out of court.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back