SCARBOROUGH - No longer welcome :-(

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by G8WVW, May 11, 2013.

1. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Attached Files:

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Its far too noisy to overnight anyway. We have done it once , never again. Blooming cobbled road , at the best bit near the water pump , sounds like a machine gun at night.:Rofl1:
    Great for parking up all day though, done that many a time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

We all know where it is but with the greatest respect to the likes of Papajohn who lives there, why would anyone want to go there :RollEyes:.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

To be fair to Scarborough, a number of officers and members wanted to allow overnighting in certain car parks. They then realised that change of use would be needed and long-standing planning policy would be breached.

The resulting report ended with the words "applicants who have been unsuccessful in gaining consent for sites in the past may view the Council as being inconsistent were it to pursue this option itself."

• Like Like x 1
  5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I wonder how this will impact on all those surfers who use VWs and park up all weekend and "don't contribute to the economy".
    Will they be banned as well ?

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No offence taken Dave.

if i didnt live here i wouldnt want to visit either.

oh...the signs have been in place for quite some time now.

7. philw111

philw111 Funster

It's not just the council.

We had a booking at the CC site near Scarborough for July. Today we got a letter from CC saying that they had changed our booking from an awning pitch to a non-awning one. As we have a driveaway awning that we intend to use while away, we have had to cancel and look elsewhere:Angry:

8. jezport

jezport Funster

• Like Like x 3
  9. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

You will need one of these -- "not me officer":BigGrin:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ah yes, the guy who threw his dummy out of the pram when a few people on the Wild Camping forum dared to disagree with him :Laughing:

The situation regarding off-street car parks in the whole of Scarborough Borough is that there is a properly made order preventing camping in car parks for reasons well aired in other threads.

As regards on-street parking (the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council) there is a properly made temporary order in place. I can't remember when it finishes but it will then have to be made permanent if it is to continue. At that time there will be a public consultation exercise as part of the process. That is the appropriate time for objections to be made - but they will have to be well evidenced (not just whinges) if they are to succeed.

11. steevie

steevie Funster

As the average motor home is only a few feet longer than a car does it really matter when parking up......we are all tourists spending money in their town at the end of the day. Other towns have proper parking facilities for motor homes, and some are free.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

They might as well put up signs that say " Please don't enjoy yourself when visiting our town. We don't want you here anyway"
    We have similar No Motorcaravan signs along the sea front just down the road from me. The councils excuse for putting them up was that one of the residents complained about overnighting motorhomes. They started with a dozen signs in one road, now they have put signs up on over a mile of road.
    Some powerful resident that must have been.
    No, wait, I was at the council meeting when putting the signs up was first proposed. There were no complaints from any residents. I opposed the decision, but I think it had already been decided.
    Allan

• Like Like x 3
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Scarborough is one of the (majority of) councils which has parking facilities for motorhomes. What Scarborough does not allow (in common with the majority of councils) is camping in car parks. That situation will not change unless it can be shown that it is in the public interest to allow camping in car parks where it is not currently allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Is that Broadstairs Allan?

15. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I love Scarborough! Spent many hols there when a child. Lots of lovely history stuff there, including first Grand Hotel in Europe, first English seaside resort (17th century), the home of my ancestors. Come from a long line of Scarborough pub keepers! Plus wonderful Alan Aykbourn plays at the Theatre.

I take Graham's point - not many places in UK where Motor Homes CAN camp overnight in car parks. Why pick Scarborough out for criticism?

Catherine

• Like Like x 1
  16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Some local Sir big wig drove through there one evening and seen some MH`s parked up and probably said to his ---(Lady) " I think I am going to have to put a stop to these terrible motorized caravans darling , they must have a correct place to go, we don`t want them here"
    I will call hooray henry at the council to sort it out pronto:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jezport

jezport Funster

Its not just Scarborough that is being protested against. Andy has had results in Scotland and had illegal signs removed

SBC brought the temporary traffic order in because they said there has been reports of toilet waste being dumped and this was to stop it. What a lie! When asked for proof of the dumping they could produce no evidence. Even if they could how would an overnight ban for one type of vehicle be a sensible thing to do? Should we ban cars from parking at night if the council say that some car owners left rubbish.
    Before the ban we visited Scarborough many times mainly before and after the summer season and we saw a motorhomer picking up waste rather than leaving waste. We saw car owners leaving hot bbqs and dirty nappies. It is a resort that desperately needs visitors especially out of season to support the small traders.

Besides, if one council gets away with it the the others will follow.......

Should we not bother protecting our rights to park?

• Like Like x 3
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The situation in Scotland was totally different. Highland Council had tried to save local taxpayers' money by erecting signs without going to the expense of bringing in a legal order. Once the validity was challenged the council took the signs down. What is happening now is that orders are being made in certain places.

Scarborough Borough Council have implemented permanent orders covering off street parking. North Yorkshire County Council have implemented a temporary order covering on street parking. Rights to park are enshrined in those orders.

There never were any rights to camp in car parks so where does any council "getting away with it" come in?

EDIT: This article from 2011 contains clues why Scarborough residents and visitors have become upset by some motorhome campers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  19. jezport

jezport Funster

So what you're saying is because one group parked on the grass and a few people break the law we should be banned and forced out of towns.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

That a council should have a properly made order tempory or not does not give them the moral right to discriminate against people in motorhomes. The whole thing is a way to milk the motorist and if people wish to protest that the councils are wrong then apart from voting them out at the next election are they supposed to just ignore the increasing pressures to drive them off of the roads. A lot of us outside of the hallowed halls of establishment know that making representations at a public consultation is largely over ruled by representation formulated at our expence by the councils legal team against us.
    The establishment always think they are right.

• Like Like x 1