Scarborough Gold Cup (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Last night I watched the Scarborough Gold Cup on ITV4 and what scary racing. Never seen it before, that's a really tight track and good ride by Dean Harrison.
Following that watched Henry Coles program about Steve McQueen, more good stuff from ITV4.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I was there and stood next to Ago when they fired up the MV . Awesome! It was brilliant to see all the old champions still love to lap at high speed.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Last night I watched the Scarborough Gold Cup on ITV4 and what scary racing. Never seen it before, that's a really tight track and good ride by Dean Harrison.
Following that watched Henry Coles program about Steve McQueen, more good stuff from ITV4.

Iv been going to Olivers Mount to watch the racing for years.(y)
If you think it looks scary on tv you have to go and witness it
live.Its amazing what speeds they get upto on such a narrow
track.My favourite place to spectate was the straight before
the chicane and start/finish line.
They had to put the chicane in because the riders were approaching
the finish line so quickly it was too dangerous!:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I was there and stood next to Ago when they fired up the MV . Awesome! It was brilliant to see all the old champions still love to lap at high speed.

I was there for the anniversary event!:)
Was it when Foggy was riding for Honda in WSB
and he did parade laps?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
There are 3 hairpin bends plus a serious hill, trees and drops on both sidesl and yet the AVERAGE speed is 86+mph. When it's not a race day the track is public roads and anyone can ride round it, but there's a 30mph limit on it. It was built after WW2 to cheer up the returning troops at the grand cost of £1000. It was intended to be 10 miles long but funds weren't available.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just found this thread looking for something else. The Course is one of the most exiting to ride and watch.

Ridden it many times, but never as a competitor. Back in the 60`s they tried having a sort of "Mad Sunday". But stopped the idea after a serious accident. Seen Phil Read, John Surtees, and Bob Mc Intyre, On the track there. Geoff Duke was there one time but did not actually race I think he had retired by then?.

Driven the car round it a couple of years back with all the grand-kids in!. At One time the CC used to have a Rally in the middle field.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We saw Team Obsolete there from the USA, boy did those MV's sound good, also Jim Redmand on the Honda six as well, magic!

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I have had the privilege of doing parade laps at Olivers Mount for the last 5 years and will attend the parades again this year at the Cock O The North meet in July. It is like a miniature Isle of Man TT but much narrower roads and a Hairpin bends that make the Ramsey hairpin look tame. One false move approaching the hairpin at the Northern part of the circuit and you will end up in somebodies garden in a very posh area of Scarborough. A very demanding and dangerous circuit gives the heart a good workout.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back