Jan 7, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All- Please can you help me.

We are planning our trip to Denmark, Sweden and Norway, i have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

Has anyone experience of the emission zone in Gothenburg, we are due to come back on a Stena ferry from the Gothenburg port and it appears to be in the emission zone, is there a route to the port that does not go through the emission zone, or do we have to pay a charge/fine.
For info our motorhome is 12 years old and has a Euro 3 diesel engine.

Has anyone experience of the emission zone in Copenhagen, we are thinking of going to the `City Camp` that also appears to be in an emission zone.

How strict are the Ferry operators in Sweden and Norway with regards to vehicle length, my van is 6.1m long, but i can remove a towbar to get it below the cheaper 6m.

Many Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Here's an excerpt from Swedish emission Zones Gothenburg hope it helps.
The environmental zone does not include Lundbyleden/Lundbytunneln (E6.21) or Oscarsleden/Götaleden. Neither does it include through-traffic between Oscarsleden/Götaleden and the ferry at the Denmark/Germany terminals or through-traffic between Lundbyleden/Lundbytunneln (E6.21) and the ferry at Frihamnen.
Here's a link: http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/sweden-mainmenu-248/goteborg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are leaving for the Scandinavian experience on Saturday,will let you know how we get on.(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We are heading there in early May @Speve , will look out for you on our travels.
Also,many thanks for the advice on the E&P levellers.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Jenben you are most welcome you can't mistake us we have an Exsis towing a green Panda4x4 on a trailer we,ll keep a lookout for you we are going as far north as we can hope to get to Arctic Circle.
Enjoy your trip

OP
OP
G
Jan 7, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks, i have read the emission zone info earlier and it suggests getting to the Ferry port is ok with regards to emission, i just hoped someone had done the route and proved that was the case, what concerns me is Euro 3 engines appear to not be allowed in the zone.

What route are you going, we are driving to Denmark, over the 2 bridges to Sweden, up to Norway , probably maybe half way up

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
L
Many thanks, i have read the emission zone info earlier and it suggests getting to the Ferry port is ok with regards to emission, i just hoped someone had done the route and proved that was the case, what concerns me is Euro 3 engines appear to not be allowed in the zone.

What route are you going, we are driving to Denmark, over the 2 bridges to Sweden, up to Norway , probably maybe half way up
We are doing Fredrikshaven to Gothenburge then head north might do the bridges coming home in July but nothing in stone.(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
G
Jan 7, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes thats the ferry route we are doing on the way back, we paid about £60 all in , which is a lot cheaper than the 2 bridge route, i have E mailed Stena Line about the emission zone, if they come back to me i will let you know, have a good trip.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Enjoy your trips. We are going on 2nd June. Will you @Jenben and @Speve still be travelling around Scandi then?
Yes we will be out there until end of July Andrea perhaps we,ll bump into you somewhere,can't wait to get moving again,only been home three weeks just enough to get servicing and odds and sods done.
You can't stand still to long once retired the grass grows to quick.
Good luck with your trip and enjoy.
Alan
Your book has been very useful already

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
We are hoping to do the Arctic Circle next spring or whenever is the best time, are any of you doing a blog on your trip?
My geography is lousy and I know nothing about Scandinavia so any experiences greatly welcome. Sorry to go off topic @Gingertom16.
Steve

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Citycamp in Copenhagen isn't any problem, stayed there last year. Don't be put off by where it's situated - apparently in the middle of a big industrial area. Take the owners advice, walk round to the water bus and go as far north as it goes, with great views of the waterfront, and walk a few hundred yards a bit further to see the Little Mermaid. Then take a leisurely walk back through the city. The Tivoli Gardens are just a few minutes on the bus, or you could walk in about 20 mins. It's about €20 entry so make it a full day visit - by the time we got there there was only about an hour left, it's on our list for a revisit.

We absolutely love Scandinavia (don't forget to go see Father Christmas in Finland) and will certainly be back. Unfortunately we had to cut our visit short due mechanical problems.

OP
OP
G
Jan 7, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the info on Citycamp in Copenhagen, that will be helpful, can you recall if the site is within the emission zone, i am concerned our 12 year old motorhome may be a problem.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are also planning the same, I don't really plan, not even booked the chunnel yet, but leaving home on 26th Aug 17, hopefully chunnel that night

Travelling up through Denmark, over bridge to Sweden, north to Arctic circle or thereabouts, cross to Norway, Tromso, the Lofoten Isles, then down Norway coast, returning end of September or when we have spotted northern lights

A long way in four / five weeks so may end up revising as we go :)(y), will be doing a thread on here, may even start it soon, will remind to get planning / booking things :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
maybe think it is time to start reviewing already, not looking realistic for 30 nights away

upload_2017-4-19_21-19-35.png

and that is already revised slightly by doing less Norway coast :(

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Whe we took the Colourline ferry to to Kristiansand we were worried we were over 2.0m (we have a campervan) and the woman at the booth was able to tell us we were 1.98m si they clearly can measure height accurately -don't know about length. However we met a German family in a hired Hymer Exsis which was 6.2m long and they were told by the hire company that if they didn't say anything they would be fine on the smaller ferries across the fjords -and they said so far that had been fine!! I don't think you will have a problem on the little ferries-they do just eyeball the van -they probably won't even notice the towbar.
Norway is fab-we have been 4x in all.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for the info on Citycamp in Copenhagen, that will be helpful, can you recall if the site is within the emission zone, i am concerned our 12 year old motorhome may be a problem.

To be honest we didn't think about it and certainly didn't notice any signposting. We're group 4 but there were a number of older vans on there.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Your in for a wonderful trip, we did similar in 2014 and loved it. We drove through Germany to Travemunde and caught the ferry next morning to Sweden just south of Malmo. We then slowly drove up the coast of Sweden as far as Flam in Norway then down to Oslo and ferry from south Norway to Denmark. We bought the book Nordic campers

Well worth the money as we found some stunning places from Harbours, boatyards and even a private Airport all for less than €10 a night with EHU.
As for the ferry companies our van was 7.4 and we got away with under 6.5, if pulled up I was going to say it was a translation fault and I thought he meant yards :) never got questioned once.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@lorger thanks for the link, passed to Bev to buy, how long did you go for?

sounds like you did a similar route to ours except ferries in place of bridges for us due to Lola :)(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Gingertom16

hope you don't mind me using (abusing ) your thread, seems a shame to run parallel questions :)(y)

when are you planning on going BTW

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
@lorger thanks for the link, passed to Bev to buy, how long did you go for?

sounds like you did a similar route to ours except ferries in place of bridges for us due to Lola :)(y)

We had around 3 weeks and just tootled along slowly with nothing booked in advance apart from the ferry home, at this time the ferry went from Denmark to Harwich which we used for our return journey. We went out via Newcastle to Amsterdam, then across to Sweden from Germany and spent a couple of nights in Malmo where we caught the train to Copenhagen for the day out. This worked out less miles and cheaper than using bridge.

We then drove up the coast visiting towns and villages as we went, made sure I stopped in Helsingborg to visit Henrik Larsson's statue :) (He was a Celtic player ). We visited Gothenburg then a few nights in smaller places I cant remember the names at the moment. We then stopped at Stromstad for a few nights again a lovely place, then into Norway and up to Flam for a few nights before heading back to Oslo for a few nights then down coast for a couple of nights before heading to Denmark for a few nightsnights.

Here is a ling to some of my posts.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sweden-norway.128855/#post-1825907

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/norways-snow-road.89841/#post-1068444

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/now-in-norway.89717/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/norway-update.89782/#post-1067597

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For those of you going further north in central Sweden in July and August, make sure your flyscreens are in place. :LOL:
IMG_1215.JPG

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
For those of you going further north in central Sweden in July and August, make sure your flyscreens are in place. :LOL:
View attachment 158580
Hopefully home at end of July so with a bit of luck will miss the worst of them got our Avon Skin So Soft just in case(y)(y)(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hopefully home at end of July so with a bit of luck will miss the worst of them got our Avon Skin So Soft just in case(y)(y)(y)
Best to be prepared, I found them unbearable in Dalarna region at midsummer. Should you be in Sweden then, do join in with the midsummer festivities. They will be on a Friday, probably 23 June this year. You will be made welcome.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Best to be prepared, I found them unbearable in Dalarna region at midsummer. Should you be in Sweden then, do join in with the midsummer festivities. They will be on a Friday, probably 23 June this year. You will be made welcome.
Pretty sure we'll still be there then so will certainly join in thanks for the heads up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back