Scandinavia or Greece (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We had planned to spend 4 weeks in Scandinavia, going as far north as possible, well that was the plan........but then I looked at going to Greece, leaving the van in Volus and then going on the 'flying cat' to Skopolos (mamma Mia island), where have spend many a happy week.

The thought of sunshine is very appealing, as is a litre of wine at €6 in a restaurant.

However, as we are a tag axle, and 5t, I don't fancy the hassle of organising a 'box' to get through Austria, could we go through Czech....

I appreciate we are fortunate to have these choices....

I await any comments and other 'funsters' experiences.

As always thanks in advance

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you've only got four weeks go the quickest way. :) The AA or RAC route planners would allow you to compare times.

You could reduce driving by taking the ferry to Santander, then from Genoa to Sicily, across the sole of Italy then Brindisi to Greece. Probably not the cheapest route though. :)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We did Norway and Sweden last May through to July. What a place. If you are going for guaranteed sunshine forget it. It's one of those places to say done that and will go again for the experience second time around. If you went very soon you are up there in the midnight sun. So time is never against you. It truly is the MH holy grail. Free camping everywhere. Free water and empty points as you go along. I could go on forever if you are serious about going get back in touch and P M me. If others would like the knowledge that I have amassed happy to type something up. Just so you know. It is expensive if you do not take what you need with you. We fully loaded prior to hitting Norway and kept popping over into Sweden and buying food. Much cheaper. Fuel £1 la litre. Beer £8 a pint. About the same as London? The big issue is getting up to the top. We are an 8.7 m tag so can talk from experience as to the true cost which overall was not that expensive

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure I read on here recently that the Norwegian tolls were very expensive for a van over 3.5 ton .. in some cases triple the toll .. ?
found the thread..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/looking-to-travel-to-norway.92462/#post-1107506

When out and about this Summer bumped into a few travellers who gave me some info about the bridges and even quoted in excess of 150 euro on some of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
There a very few toll roads in Norway. They have a fantastic system in that tolls on a road bridge or tunnel is enforced after completion and run until the build has been paid for. So once paid no toll. There is a simple cheat??? Log onto Norway toll pay as you go. Register ones cc. Input vehicle registration number and weight under 3.5 of over 3.5 t. The system runs on number plate identification and is not linked to the DVLA. So all its looking for within its data base is what ever has been inputed, So it finds your reg number against the weight that has been listed ???? And thus charged accordingly The ferry is a different system and you are charged by the metre. You can buy a pay as you go charge card that gives fantastic discounts that are charged back to your cc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back