Scandinavia 2016

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hotelman, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

SWMBO has realised she had some dates wrong, and all of a sudden we have June free.
    So, I guess that Scandinavia is a possible adventure .... I have read the blogs and comments from previous postings, SO...

we have about 4 weeks, and are looking for some ideas, sailing into Rotterdam from Hull, after that .........HELP, we are 8.8m long so realise that some of the bridges and ferries may be expensive....

As always , thanks for all feedback, and hope that other funsters will information and confidence from this posting.....

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I shall be following with interest.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We're heading that way too about the same time but will be travelling via Channel Tunnel - we don't do ferries (well only short crossings). Never been there before and once we're back home from the winter trip next week will be doing lots of research. There is a Scandinavia section in the travel forums that has some good info.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Chunnel booked (1st June), Keycard bought, EHIC cards renewed, route (sort of) planned, maps and Rough Guides bought. Just got to sort out the regs for taking dogs into Norway (it'll be from Sweden) but think I've found a contact who can help. Seems the regs are the same as UK, i.e. needs worming between 24 and 120 hours before entry, something to do with the Fox tapeworm.

Anybody else going around that time? Return planned 14 July.

Terry

5. lorger

lorger Funster

We did it in 2014 using the crossing to Amsterdam, we then drove to Travemunde in Germany for ferry crossing to the bottom of sweden. We then spent the night in Malmo and got the train to Copenhagen as this was cheaper than taking the van over the bridge. We drove up the west coast of Sweden using some lovely Aire style places along with CL style sites, we bought the book Nordic camper stops well worth the money.
    After driving up to Flam we headed back down to Oslo and stayed on the harbour which has about 100 spaces for MH's with hook up, we then used the ferry from Norway to top of Denmark.

I can't remember the names off the top of my head but if you would like more info let me know and will have a look when I'm home as currently on Nightshift.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. campa cola

campa cola Funster

The further north you go, the more self sufficient you need to be with any MH repairs/maintainence. Some people think the Scottish highlands are wilderness, compared to the top half of Finland/Norway/Sweden they are like Essex!
    The roads and tunnels in Norway in many places are quite narrow so if you go there, keep an eye on that. I did route 17.........spectacular! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_County_Road_17

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1