scam (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
NOT Nigerian usually East European
Possibly but we had a similar scam from Nigeria for a laptop on Ebay. Fortunately my daughter was on the ball and contacted Ebay. The language was very similar and used a son as the reason. These scams are all too common and I feel terribly sorry oir anyone who falls for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had the one from the inland revenue telling me I have a tax refund just needed to log onto their website to confirm my details, the false website is very convincing.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We regularly receive scam emails to our holiday cottage email address. There are different levels, from the 'login to claim your tax refund' & 'there's is a problem with your xx bank account'

Then there's the more sophisticated ones that appear to be a genuine request for accommodation- sometimes personal ised. When you respond they generally come up with a reason for you to send them change or buy something for them( ie from them) so they will send a larger amount.
They are evolving and some of these can be quite convincing.

We played one along a few years ago and recieved a cheque that fooled the bank ( until we asked them to have a better look).

We were really surprised when the bank, having eventually decided that it was a very good forgery, gave us the cheque back and showed no inclination to pursue it.

We then contact ed the police, who also declined, saying that theres too much fraud of this type for them to deal with.

Dont know if its still the same, but they keep coming so someone must be falling for it.

Best advice is never give your cvv or pin unless you've made the call. And be real careful with western union.
Jon

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Excellent well done all of you, we get loads of these scam emails, HMRC tax rebates, funny invoices need paying, voice messages, paypal problems, apple ID's gone funny courier deliveries, bank details, you name it, they try it

Peter

OP
OP
ed pick

ed pick

Free Member
Oct 13, 2014
mansfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Have now removed motor home off Gumtree to many problems with strange messages and it even changed its price with out me doing anything back to eBay hopefully more secure

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back