Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
my daughter has just phoned and said while using her computer the screen want red and flashing and told her to go to Microsoft as computer had a bug . Computer then would not do anything. number phoned was 0800 520 2015 and £70.00 charged to her paypal account to sort problem out. Screen then taken over by chap on the phone, problem sorted and agv installed. Is this a scam?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes. Why was money taken from her paypal account - did she give permission? Even if she did she might like to contact PayPal and report it as a scam and see if they will reimburse her.

They may well have installed AVG or something that looks like AVG but may be malicious but I suspect they have also installed other things. She needs to get the computer sorted ASAP but in the mean time I strongly suggest she doesn't do any internet banking or anything which needs passwords as they all could be being logged and sent to the man in a mask in Russia or wherever.

If she isn't techy she might like to consider finding a local computer repair shop and getting a quote for having the machine cleaned, bug-wise, and also get them to install some decent protective software.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I fear so as well and as DBK says, please tell her not to use it until checked

The only other thing could to do a restart from earlier date, but that could still be risky

Good luck

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The phone number takes you to a webpage for 'AVG Technical Support' (usual mistakes in English grammar) which actually looks like a 'company' called PCSupremo ( which is a division of Indyserve Technologies Ltd) The bottom of THIER website states: "Disclaimer :- PCSupremo.com provides Technical Support Services for several third party brands and is an Independent Company. We are not related to any Vendor or manufacturer. Free service may be available from them. Use of names, trademarks is for reference only."
They purport to 'fix' problems with AVG - they're nothing to do with AVG - it's a clever sales pitch but as said above, who knows what else they've done while they were in the computer
  • certainly worth getting the computer to a tech expert to clean
  • may be worth re-contacting PCSupremo to complain/ ask for money back
  • may be worth contacting PayPal
  • I'd think also worth informing AVG

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having paid by paypal she will already have logged into here account whilst he was online so he has her paypal details. £70 is just the start of it. Alert paypal at once assuming he has not already changed your password. Notify the bank or card your paypal account is paid from and cancel payment. Sorry she has been scammed hopefully it can be sorted and computer cleaned.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
thank you all for your replies I have spoken to a guy on the phone number given it is indyserve technologies ltd. He assures me that this problem arose as the free trial version of AVG had run out and the message to phone their number is to install AVG and they have installed it for £70.00 for three years and free technical help with them.
my daughter does not do banking on her computer so not sure if there is any threat. He assures me they are a legitimate company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
thank you all for your replies I have spoken to a guy on the phone number given it is indyserve technologies ltd. He assures me that this problem arose as the free trial version of AVG had run out and the message to phone their number is to install AVG and they have installed it for £70.00 for three years and free technical help with them.
my daughter does not do banking on her computer so not sure if there is any threat. He assures me they are a legitimate company.

Errrrr bollocks!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
He assures me they are a legitimate company.
He's not going to say that they're conning you is he? They may be 'legitimate' ie registered, but your daughter did NOT know what she was getting into, this is unethical.
£70.00 charged to her paypal account
means she IS doing internet banking to the extent that her details are out there somewhere & need changing straight away - both her PayPal account and her linked bank account

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry but AVG is free for life for the basic program.

The advice about contacting paypal stands and is urgent.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

You say that the first message your daughter got said her computer had a bug. I'm no computer expert, but I'd have thought that it would still be infected and installing AVG would only prevent further problems. Also, surely anyone can load anti-virus software, you don't need to pay £70 for someone to do it.

I'd say its a scam and, as others have said, would advise that you get your daughter to contact PayPal to retrieve her £70 and then take the computer to a reputable PC company to take a look at it.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have just been on to Indyserve Technologies Ltd’s technical support for virus and email problem, I was helped by Jeet and Deepak. These support team members were patient and extremely helpful. My problem was completely resolved to my satisfaction. Both these technical service consultants are a credit to your organization, and it has been a pleasure to deal with Indyserve Technologies you have excellent service.

Thanks,

Dr. Barrie Mair

I'll bet we won't be seeing your subscription fee!!!

People who pull stunts like this are crooks, you know it and fortunately a few of us do too!!!

:cooler:

Deleted User
I have just been on to Indyserve Technologies Ltd’s technical support for virus and email problem, I was helped by Jeet and Deepak. These support team members were patient and extremely helpful. My problem was completely resolved to my satisfaction. Both these technical service consultants are a credit to your organization, and it has been a pleasure to deal with Indyserve Technologies you have excellent service.

Thanks,

Dr. Barrie Mair

You're not even a convincing Troll :pinocchio:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Why has this old thread started again?

because barriemair, see quotes in posts 17 and 18 dragged it up, singing their praises..

however, a timely reminder to check things out before clicking links and letting someone take control of your computer..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
because barriemair, see posts 17 and 18 dragged it up, singing their praises..

however, a timely reminder to check things out before clicking links and letting someone take control of your computer..
But where his original post, seems to have been deleted, I can only see it as a quote.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
How odd - I didn't realise it was an old thread as it came up under 'recent' posts. I see that Barriemair has now deleted his post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back