Scam or not ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dylan, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Just had a phone call from " Yahoo" a 01138 number about their search engine and my campsite. He went through a few details all correct, from my website I would think, then wanted me to log onto my computer and do what he said at which I stopped the conversation and said no. He asked why and then said I can take you off our search engine if you like. I said I was busy and put the phone down. Not that bothered but was this a scam or have Yahoo taken to phoning companies about putting them higher on their search engine ? He didn't mention money or we didn't get that far !
    Thanks
    Eileen

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You should have written down what he wanted you to do but not do it. Might give us clues next time.

It does sound well dodgy though.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

my scam alarm would have been screaming .. .. .. you did well to hang up

• Like Like x 1
  4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Sounds dodgy to me! sometimes directories may call to verify your details have not changed, but they tell you what they have rather than you tell them.

Further, it is quite common scam practice to instruct you to do this and that on your computer to allow them remote access to your pc - this allows them to take data, or use your computer as a proxy address for other crime.

I would get hold of yahoo security team and have a word with them to let them know.

5. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Found on the net:

I have been informed by BT that 01138 is a bogus international number...It is basically the number given when the caller hides their number but it comes from international location. :Eek!:

• Like Like x 2