SCAM--Does this one think I was born yesterday (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just got this asking to buy my Transit Scam or what :D
Glenn Harbird

glennharbird47@gmail.com

Today at 4:35 PM
Name: glenn harbird
Telephone: 070243051042
To Me

Today at 5:19 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply.I will take it for 16,400 and i want you to get
back to me with more pictures of the (interior,engine and the
exterior) of this vehicle (if available) because i won't be able to
come for the inspection due to the nature of my work.Am buying it for
my holiday cos I'll be coming soon from our rig as am an engineer and
am on a rig offshore.As for the payment..i can only pay via the
fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal) here,pls get back to me
with your PayPal details and in case you don't have,you can also get
back to me with your bank details so i can proceed with payment and
contact the courier agent that will come to pick it up and deliver it
in my place,and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of
ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier
services company agent so you don't have to worry about that. I await
to hear from you soon.

ONE FOR SHIFFTZZ -all the details I have -- Knock yourself out Dave ;)
terry

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Part of the scam there is in the phone number. 070 isn't a normal mobile number, it's a premium rate number. If anyone's daft enough to call it you won't get through to "Mr Harbird" but will probably hear a voicemail message and when you get your bill will find out you've been charged something ridiculous for the call.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Part of the scam there is in the phone number. 070 isn't a normal mobile number, it's a premium rate number. If anyone's daft enough to call it you won't get through to "Mr Harbird" but will probably hear a voicemail message and when you get your bill will find out you've been charged something ridiculous for the call.

That means it must be traceable :D
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you get him to pay by BACS 24 hours before he collects the MH you will be safe. That's 24 hours after it reaches your account. If he agrees to this then he is probably genuine.

Though I suspect his oil rig is somewhere off the Nigerian coast.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like the usual old scam to me, familiar oil rig story. I wouldn't part or sign anything until you have cleared funds in your account.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sounds like the usual old scam to me, familiar oil rig story. I wouldn't part or sign anything until you have cleared funds in your account.
a big problem is that even though it appears a payment has been made, it can be reversed for quite a considerable time. or payment is made from a hijacked account. you lose the property and the money

surely only a complete idiot would be taken n by such an obvious scam, but it only takes the 1 to make the con work

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just googled how it exactly works.
How it works
The con operates as follows: a “buyer” contacts you expressing an interest in your car (or whatever you’re selling: the scam exists on websites other than Auto Trader). Commonly, the emails are littered with grammatical errors, are oddly phrased and the buyer is most likely to say he or she is out of the country.
They then go on to say they want your item but can only arrange payment via PayPal.
They’ll ask you to give your PayPal details or set up an account. Once you’ve done that, you receive a notification that you've been paid for your goods. In fact you've been overpaid. Subsequently you are asked to send the difference back via Western Union or some other online payment method – but as you do so, the fraudsters reverse the PayPal transaction, leaving you hundreds or thousands of pounds out of pocket. Alternatively, the scam works by someone collecting the car, or whatever you’re selling, then raising a dispute with PayPal that the goods haven’t been received. PayPal can then take back the money from your account.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
If it's BACS payment then it cannot be reversed without your agreement but I wouldn't trust it anyway because of the standard of his English . No I'm not perfect either

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
How about: Dear Mr Hairbrain. I have cancelled all my advertisements on this vehicle, to suit your willingness to buy. Unfortunately, I don't have a bank account, (due to me being insolvent, no fault of my own, I assure you), and so the vehicle awaits collection by your named representative, on the terms of full amount only in cash, British Pounds.
I'm sure that will not be a problem to you, as it is well known that rig workers are rolling in it.
Yours in Expectation,
James Nomug. :whistle:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
No Glenn Harbird exists on the VR, the phone number looks odd, BACS payments as has been said can be recalled (USA funds up to 6 months) Yep my old mate Terry its a scam..

PS, the e-mail address only exists in one place...

Walk away...

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Dave and all the others (y)I knew it was a scam straight away and no way would I have let the van go like that :Dalso knew how the banks/scam works:)--
I might have got 3/4 lads together and follow the van to where the courier took it and give the receiving person a good hiding :LOL:
terry

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers Dave and all the others (y)I knew it was a scam straight away and no way would I have let the van go like that :Dalso knew how the banks/scam works:)--
I might have got 3/4 lads together and follow the van to where the courier took it and give the receiving person a good hiding :LOL:
terry
Not the best idea, that could cost you more than the van.. The courts are daft sometimes and have some strange ideas.

There are no new scams just old ones repackaged, its all down to two things, deception and or theft.. Biggest catalyst, GREED..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had a try on in the office a few months back.

Someone who said they were in the States asked me to collect money from a guy who lived in Kent but was temporarily living in Canada. About $400,000 dollars owed.

A rat was smelt but I went along with it for amusement.

A few weeks later ( I hadn't lifted a finger by the way) I received 2 cheques from Canada from a US bank. One a part payment of $125,000 and another for $2000 for my fees.

I had a chat with the National Crime Agency about it and they told me quite a few lawyers were caught out by the scam.

You pay the cheques in and wait the customary 7 business working days for them to clear. In the meantime the client is chasing you to pay them their money.

Thinking the money has cleared you issue a client account cheque for $125,000 and then the US cheques bounce, because it takes a lot longer for those cheques to clear.

There are some stupid people around which is why these scams persist I guess.

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
Get cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y)

vento

Free Member
Jul 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
2 yrs
I had exactly the same email from this person, using this email address, over the weekend, wanting to buy my campervan which I had just listed on Auto Trader. Don't do it!

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
well that is the same scam that they tried with me the e mail is nearly word for word the same as sent to me i just ignored it this was on auto trader not on e bay had about 4 e mails all the same sort off thing so just ignore it

SlimJim

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily (converted)
Exp
Thanks to this forum for the alert that helped me dodge the proverbial scam bullet today. The phone number referred to in Terry's original post was used again, hence the link to your forum. I copy and paste the emailed alert I sent to Autotrader detailing how Terry's scammer is still trying it on:

Dear Sirs,
RE: likely scam approach received today

Whilst I'm sure you receive much correspondence re the above, it seems irresponsible of me not to advise you of the approach I received today, so to warn your other vendors and readers of potential scams. I copy and paste (below) the contents of the email received today from an account purporting to be michael.charles14@gmail.com My suspicious was aroused by the listed telephone number. When I ran it through google, motorhomefun.co.uk's forum alerted me to its' previous use in a scam. You can read their reports here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/scam-does-this-one-think-i-was-born-yesterday.88990/

Gmail then advised me the listed email address was not the actual sender's address (phishing). I chose not to respond to the approach and instead report it to you as suspicious activity.

Kind regards,
James

Contents of suspicious email received from "michael.charles14@gmail.com" (phished) pasted here:

"Name: charles micheal
Telephone: 070243051042

I'm interested in your van. Would like to know the bottom price you want it to go for."

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I had a similar experience three or four years ago when I was selling my last MH. I had it listed on E Bay and received an e-mail from someone apparently working for a charity in Japan helping the post tsunami villagers (bless him) . He wanted to buy it for his brother in law as a gift...... you can guess the rest.:whistle:

I sent him an e-mail with an address 'tag' on it that told me his location when he opened it.

Surprise surprise he was mailing from a town in Nigeria.

Using his IP address from the tag I Google mapped it, got a nice clear overhead image of his house and surrounding area and after sending it as an attachment to him asked him what part of Japan was it.

Sadly, we didn't keep in touch. He seemed such a nice chap wanting to buy it for his brother in law as well. :cry:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
dear terry i am very interested in your van unfortuatly im at present working on an oil rig in saudi arabia is it possible i can send you 24 camels as a deposit
I may take you up on that offer :)How much are camels worth ? :D
I got yet another email yesterday asking if he could pay by PPal and send someone to collect -did not have time to play so I unfortunately just binned it :LOL:
terry

john100

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
none
Just wanted to say thanks for flagging this up. I've got an ad on Autotrader Vans and he tried it on there.
Google links here because he's still using the same phone number. Got the same email about oil rigs etc today but he now goes by the name of micheal kylon with email michealkylon43@gmail.com.
This time he sent an email asking for bottom price which I replied to; then he sent the standard one about buying unseen- please send me all your Paypal/Bank details.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm okay mate. Whilst I'm at it, here's my Pin no.....
Thanks again Terry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back