Scalobor (sandfly) Collar Reaction

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Armytwowheels, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

My dog seems to have become alergic the the sandfly collar. She wore one last year with no problems, but this year seems to be constantly scratching at her neck when wearing it. I have had to remove it as she was making her skin raw, left it a couple of weeks and tried to reintroduce it by just leaving it on during the day and taking it off at night. She started scratching at her neck again after a few days.

She has had the sandfly course of injections as well but the vet advised me to still use the collar, she assured me that they were two very different chemicals and it would be safe to wear.

Has anyone else had their dog react to the collars? I am mostly concerned about when we get to Portugal as the sandfly problem is supposed to be worse there.

2. mart

mart Funster

Hi, went to our vet at the weekend to ask about a sandfly collar.She recommended after some research, Bayer Advantix spot onsolution instead, hope this helps

3. Les

Les Funster

I think you will find that the Advantix Bayer claim to repels Ticks sandflies mosquito and stable flies and not eliminate them them like ticks fleas and biting lice.so if that's sufficient I'm not sure be nice to know

4. Speve

Speve Funster

@Armytwowheels Shouldn't need to worry to much about sand flies this time of year they don't tend to be around until end of April time we always use Advantix just in case.

Dogs can be bitten up to 100 times an hour during the sand fly season which begins in May and ends in October. August is the worst month. The flies are mainly active between dusk and dawn. Early morning, 2 to 4am, is the worst period. They are not high flyers so your dog is better off in an upper room or flat at night. Fitting a preventative collar will protect your pet from approximately 95% of sand flies bites for the whole season. Dogs left out in the garden as security guards are particularly

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. Armytwowheels

Thanks for your remarks but:

The reason I am concerned is that we are currently in Morocco, having been in Spain since late November and will be going to Portugal in April for a couple of months. Cannot put dog in an upper room as we are in a motorhome. Cannot fit a preventative collar as the reason for posting is that the dog has had an adverse reaction to it.

I will however get some Advantix once we get back to Europe, I doubt there will be any in Maroc. I also believe Maroc does not have problem with sandfly's, or that's what I have been told anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Maybe you could go to a vet, once you get back to Portugal?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armytwowheels

Yes I will. I was just wondering if any other members have had dogs that have reacted to the Saclobor collars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I haven't had a dog react to one but I have heard of dogs that have reacted adversely to the collars. So it isn't just yours.
    Fair bit on the internet about people who have had problems

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have them for our dogs but ONLY put them on when they go out of the MH, they don't have them on at any other time so their 'exposure' to the chemicals in them is much reduced, also do remember than whenever you handle the collar (avoid it if you can), you should always give you hands a good wash.