Scalibor collars query

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TPMM, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TPMM

TPMM Funster

I hope this hasn't already been covered - I couldn't find any earlier discussion.

We are heading off to southern France shortly and, because of worries about sand flies, have bought scalibor collars for both dogs. (We also use Advantix which seems to work for tick prevention). It says the collars work for 5-6 months - does that mean we can use them for a month or so now and then take them off , presumably seal them back in their foil envelopes and use them again next spring?? How does one know if they are still working?? Any help greatly appreciated!

2. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

I am not a vet and perhaps you should ask your own vet but,I would think not, we now use Scalibor collars all the time, changing them every three or four months depending on season as, there seem to be more ticks about in the UK. As Scalibor collars are effective against ticks, using Advantix as well is probably not a good idea. The only way to tell if they are working is by your dog not getting any ticks or, finding a dead one still attached.

3. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

We were told not to use Scalibor collar if you are using the monthly treatment, i.e. Frontline, Advantix , etc, because your pet is being overdosed. Sandflies are a problem when the night time temperature rises to 20*. So you would need to look at treatment for that if you are heading south. Always carry a tick tweezer which you can buy cheaply at the vet, ticks are easily removed with this piece of kit. However you need to look at tick treatment if going to the likes of Thetford Forest, places with deer, sheep, and other livestock which can carry the tick. Some pets can be quite unwell if they do not tolerate the treatment, but will recover after a few days.

4. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I have read that it is not advisable to use the Scalibor collars with any other medication. Have also read that some animals have a bad reaction to the collars. We used to use Advantix on our dogs when we were in Crete as this also protects against sandflies which causes leishmania and are prevalent there.

5. Leltel

Leltel Funster

We use advocate and scalable collars as recommended by our vet (by them online though). Would have thought the 5-6months is once the pack is opened to the air?? Ours stay on the boys as they are a good tick repellent too :)

6. Leltel

Leltel Funster

Oops, predictive text.....Scalibor of course, not scalable :eek:

• Like Like x 1