Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
My first time across the channel driving a small motorhome tomorrow.Easy to recognise me,I have as company a husband (beard,white stick and wheelchair) and a big hairy dog called Petroc.I will be easy to spot, permanent white knuckles from gripping the steering wheel ,a look of abject terror at complex junctions,and a large glass in my hand if and when I ever arrive anywhere! Going to Ypres,Arras then towards Troyes & Langres

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never driven a mh abroad either but I imagine if you can keep your wits about you and dont drive when you tired you will be fine. Ive got the experience to look forward to in. few months.
Have a great trip.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
You will be absolutely fine. The first five minutes are the adjustment to driving on the other side of the road. After that it is easy. The roads in France etc are so much better than here. Enjoy your holiday and stop worrying. Have a great time.:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When I first moved to France I drove everywhere singing "stay on the right" to the tune of Loch Lomond ( no idea why!) just pause and double check coming out of petrol stations, campsites etc... After first few minutes you'll be fine.

Roads are less crowded and more places to park.

Hope you have a great trip.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome. You are quite right, driving on the right is quite terrifying :Eeek: -until you've actually got past the first five minutes or so. Then you gradually start to relax and realise it's all just common sense. As others have said the Road systems in France seem generally as good if not better than here. You'll get the hang of it quicker than you think.

ps. Recommend subscribing to continue receiving advice and all the advantages of membership :thumb:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. I hope you have a great trip but if you have any concerns or problems just ask away on here and someone will be able to answer or offer advice and help.

But you only get 5 posts if you don't pay your subs. It will be the best tenner you have spent for a newbie traveller, I can guarantee it!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Good luck you will be fine. Try the Langres cheese it tastes a lot better than it smells . By the way the aire in Langres was closed in mid May this year . There is a campsite right in the town ....the opening hours can be a bit erratic but the town is worth a look .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Relax, don't hold the wheel that tight, the traffic volumes are nothing like UK and I find people are far more relaxed on the road so just take your time no stress.

If you are RHD just keep the grass on your right especially on narrower roads and the rest is easy peasy.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back