Sausage making day... (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Home made sausages are the very best.. much like home made anything..

Today I made a batch ready for the festive season..

I use Weschenfelder seasoning's, rusk and sausage casing.. great service.. first class products and service.
http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/

British Sausage Recipe Using Weschenfelder Seasonings
Recipe for use with Weschenfelder Seasonings

The following recipe is a guide to producing an English Style Sausage that will produce a fine succulent sausage at first attempt! It is a recipe that produces a sausage with 75% meat content.

For smaller mixes…reduce the quantities
By proportion
Once mastered….you can change and alter
the contents & seasonings to suit your taste.
5lbs
Lean Pork
2.½lbs
Fat Pork (i.e. Belly Pork)
¾ lbs
Dried Pinhead Rusk
1 ½ lbs
Water (cold or iced)
¼lb
Seasonings (i.e. Weschenfelder Gold Pork Seasoning,
Cumberland, Lincolnshire Traditional etc)
10lb

Cut the meat into cubes or thin strips and mince ensuring the Lean Pork and Belly Pork are well mixed.
Then add the seasonings & mix well. Add the water gradually and mix thoroughly into the meat. Finally add the rusk & again mix .
At this point you can fill directly into the casings…..or alternatively put through the mincer a second time. This really mixes all the products together & produces a slightly thinner chop. Use a coarse plate (8mm or10mm ) if you want the texture to remain fairly coarse.

IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

Mincer in action..
sorry for poor quality , was holding iphone with greasy hand while trying to feed the mincer..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use Weschenfelder seasoning's, rusk and sausage casing.. great service.. first class products and service.
http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/
You are really going to have to come up to this area one day to visit Weschenfelders Jim :) Not only great service and products but they are really friendly with it and always happy to give advice to the novice and sell the correct products not just profitable ones (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Would love to.. maybe when I get my Suffolk exit visa and Scottish passport sorted out .. :LOL:

I forgot to put the cost for the batch of 10lbs

pork, £13.00 Makro
casings, rusk and seasoning, aprox. .. £5.00

£1.80 per lb .. for 75% pork sausage..

just tried two for lunch.. yum

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we made burgers last Saturday (they would have been sausages but we forgot to soak the casings overnight) we used pork shoulder rather than a mix of lean pork and belly pork and found there was sufficient fat in it.

600 grams of pork shoulder
2 red onions
40 grams of Weschenfelders rusk
150 grams of water
12 twists of pepper
A pinch of dried basil (as we had run out of mixed herbs).

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@GJH, I went to buy a whole pork shoulder from our local wholesale butcher to make pulled pork on the Webber in the summer, they couldn't supply one as all their shoulder goes into their award winning Cumberland sausage.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH, I went to buy a whole pork shoulder from our local wholesale butcher to make pulled pork on the Webber in the summer, they couldn't supply one as all their shoulder goes into their award winning Cumberland sausage.
We normally buy shoulder rather than leg joints (because shoulder has more flavour) from the farmers market where we buy most of our meat. In the early days the farmer didn't have shoulder joints for the very same reason but he now brings a few along as other people have asked for them as well as us.
The meat we used on Saturday was actually from Lidl, on special offer last week. I wouldn't normally buy it there but it's fine for sausages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I love this site
Its got almost as good timing as...... Aldi and their special buys

Got my game in the freezer
Borrowed a mincer