sattelite tv (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
has anybody got a satelite set up on there motorhome just wondered how good are they do they guarantee tv reception and why are the avtex snipe systems so much cheaper than the oyster systems any opinions appreciated

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I can confirm that you don't have a garenteed signal with satellite .we are on Bunree CC site in Scotland and on 95% of the site there is no satellite signal.
;)
Brian & Jo

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Satellite was a must have on a Moho a few years back, before the advent of digital TV. Now the digital signal is stronger and getting a picture is much easier, unless you buy a Moho with satellite fitted or on the Europe mainland or cannot do without Movies, Sport and some dodgy channels, stick with the freeview ariel, and save yourself a load of cash. Besides you can sit in front of the goggle box anytime, why not enjoy your new surroundings

Still smile when I see the gadget MoHoers turn up and set up their dish, TV ariel and massive widescreen before they have even filled the water tanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I can confirm that you don't have a garenteed signal with satellite .we are on Bunree CC site in Scotland and on 95% of the site there is no satellite signal.
;)
Brian & Jo

Yes that's true but probably because of the trees and big fuffin' mountains in between you and the signal...:D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi

Satellite was a must have on a Moho a few years back, before the advent of digital TV. Now the digital signal is stronger and getting a picture is much easier, unless you buy a Moho with satellite fitted or on the Europe mainland or cannot do without Movies, Sport and some dodgy channels, stick with the freeview ariel, and save yourself a load of cash. Besides you can sit in front of the goggle box anytime, why not enjoy your new surroundings

Still smile when I see the gadget MoHoers turn up and set up their dish, TV ariel and massive widescreen before they have even filled the water tanks
The Dance of the Satellite dishes! We turned up at an aire around 11am, opposite the beach in Brittany a few days ago. Weather was glorious, miles of beach with clean soft sand and deep blue sea. The people in the van next to us had the sat dish up and were sitting watching tv!
Unbelievable. Why not just stay at home?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes that's true but probably because of the trees and big fuffin' mountains in between you and the signal...:D
Or even because your dish is too small.
50 or 60cm dish recommended for northern Scotland whereas a 40cm dish for England.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
The Dance of the Satellite dishes! We turned up at an aire around 11am, opposite the beach in Brittany a few days ago. Weather was glorious, miles of beach with clean soft sand and deep blue sea. The people in the van next to us had the sat dish up and were sitting watching tv!
Unbelievable. Why not just stay at home?

Each to their own, perhaps...

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Gone through all the tv aerial options to no avail but now have a snipe which we use with our sky box from home so get all sports etc.. just used it for 3 weeks on our uk trip and the only time we couldn't get a signal was when we parked under trees!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think for the UK if you can get free view signal, the choice and ease of use is great.
Assuming you want UK TV in Europe, a satellite system is ideal.
I have both but use free view if signal good and satellite when not (do have to find south without trees in the way to work).
As for Oyster etc, I have a Caro which is amazing compared with the iSat unit I used to have. The cost though was almost double, but the iSat was always impossible to get a reliable signal.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Think I'll stick with my iPad for now, ok it's a bit small but once I get a TV for the MH I can plug it into that, between sky go, TV catchup, Netflix and nowtv as long as I've got a 3G signal I'm pretty much covered on a rainy day, and when I don't I've always got 5 or six films plus a series or 2 on the iPad.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I have a 60cm crank up Maxview satellite dish with a 12 volt box. We spend most weekends in the lakes or the dales including winter. Not much of a TV signal around there so it's handy to have when its dark at 4 o'clock. We spent 10 days next to the lock at Bunree on that lovely site and if I remember rightly it was the only way to get a signal. As somebody has said though no matter what set up you have its no good if there's a tree in the way. Very rare that happens though.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We got a Snipe system (the original model) from fleabay, which shipped from Germany, and had it installed by an AV guy who does the installs for a well known MH dealer. The cost of purchase and install was less than the unit cost alone of the Snipe from said dealer. We use it with an Avtex TV with free to air satellite receiver which works well. I think the furthest south we have used it so far was Parc Verger.

I think the original Snipe model may not be as robust as the later version (motor rather panel??), which may account for the price differential to other satellite systems? The current Snipe versions are revised and are more expensive than the original, but I know not how resilient they are by comparison. I guess it's fair to say the Oyster system is a more high end premium product than the Snipe, with a price tag to match.

On a couple of occasions after arrival, when turning the Snipe on to move from the parked position to lock on to a satellite, we have encountered a grinding like noise with the panel not moving. It's as if something in the motor is not quite aligned, but a little nudge appears to cure it....so far!

Last edited:

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I can recommend the snipe , for France it was superb and to add to Rowley's post , after PV , it worked as far as Rocamadour for us . anybody get a signal further than that ?
My FiL needs a 1.3 m dish in Antibes for 28.2E , so the little snipe seems to punch above its size !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've got a crank-up Maxview dish. Works fine once you get the hang of it. I often don't even use a compass, just a glance at the sun and noting the time of day you can work out where to point it. I did get caught out in Spain until I realised I needed to elevate it much more than I thought - but now I've learned that it is easy. Systems in a dome do work when there is a gale blowing, which ours doesn't but that is their only major advantage and a mandraulic system is cheaper and there is less to go wrong. It also keeps the height of the MH down which can sometimes make things cheaper on the ferry.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
has anybody got a satelite set up on there motorhome just wondered how good are they do they guarantee tv reception and why are the avtex snipe systems so much cheaper than the oyster systems any opinions appreciated
Oyster made in Germany, Snipe made in Korea.

Had an Oyster on the last van have a Snipe on current van, not much difference in performance even in southern France, very impress with the Snipe for the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back