Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Lots of questions today! Trying to take it easy.

Does anyone have experience of using an ipad or other such tablet as a satnav? I want a decent screen size and it seems to me the larger, more expensive dedicated satnav units are close the price of say the ipad mini so why not have the full use of a tablet and have the satnav along with it. I know it's the software on any of these satnavs that makes the difference, not the unit itself so I just wondered if anyone has experience of downloadable satnav software.

There are many threads about satnavs I know but not really any info on this type.

Thanks.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use copilot live on my iPhone. Had a a few years now. No real issues and also used it in France. Main thing to remember is to disable data when abroad you it is not costing you a future whilst it looks for traffic info.

It's purely down to personal preference. A lot of people prefer a stand alone sat nav that is dedicated to that function.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, yes it does, (the TomTom is brilliant) but not on the wifi only version. The gps chip is built into the 3/4g versions.

Richard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I've got the copilot free version on my ipad, which I use to check routes when I'm planning. I've used it in France and Spain and it has proved to be as accurate as our snooper. You can pay extra for turn by turn voice navigation at a later date if you like it. Only downside of free app is you can only have one country in at a time. When we cross borders I delete and download the new country. You can have all Europe if you pay.
It's worth seeing if you like it for free!
:Cool:

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, the Copilot software is the one I think I would go for. The only thing that puts me off is you have to pay extra each year for the traffic announcements I think. But I think this is different to the normal TMC announcements. Perhaps it is worth it, I don't know. It also has the facility to put in your dimensions so as to route away from low bridges, too narrow roads for example. I hope!!

Keep the comments coming please?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
The Standard copilot version does not have facility for vehicle size, but does have an RV setting (so can be set for different speeds per road type). For size specific you would probably need the truck version which probably will not be cheap. As for the active traffic yes it is an annual subscription of around £10 but I have only paid once since they did an offer of a year free. With the Europe version around £35 it probably still works out cheaper than buying a satnav with TMC or free traffic.. You can also choose which maps to download (for European countries) thus saving space on your device.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back