LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Good day. I have used Tomtom satnav for iPhone in my car for years without issues. For a motorhome of 6m, do you think it is necessary to have a dedicated camper satnav? I have looked at all those recommended, but am now thoroughly confused! I cannot use Snooper as it cannot be used with a Mac.

Thanks

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I was worried about the size of the motorhome and being taken down narrow streets etc, but would like to assume that because it is a smaller motorhome, it should deal with most of the roads that a car would use?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The only thing that may cause an issue is the height of mohome , but if you have had no problems before why bother ..unless you are looking for an ex use to buy another satnav .lol

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks. I've only ever used the iPhone in a normal car, never a motorhome - I'm a newbie:)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Ok maybe then it would be worth a stand alone satnav as it would be easier to read while driving moho. So there are many options of make open to you .ie snooper,Garmin, tom tom ,aguri and a myriad of Chinese cheapos .all dedicated for moho use @GJH has done loads of reasearch so maybe he will come to your aid. Roy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ok maybe then it would be worth a stand alone satnav as it would be easier to read while driving moho. So there are many options of make open to you .ie snooper,Garmin, tom tom ,aguri and a myriad of Chinese cheapos .all dedicated for moho use @GJH has done loads of reasearch so maybe he will come to your aid. Roy
Thanks Roy. My notes are Here. They are based on my (perhaps biased) findings rather than anything scientific.
If you do a search for sat nav (and variations) you will find several threads on here, the latest being Link Removed.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you Graham (and Roy), much appreciated.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bought a Garmin 660 LMT (I think that's it) that can be set for a MH or other large vehicle. I set it up for the MH with correct dimensions and weights & found it would add miles to a journey to avoid a short stretch of single-track. It wasn't keen on some B roads either. So I've reverted to 'car mode' and it does what my last satnav did and is much better. My MH is 6M too.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hey, as a rule most places have a bus service if one of them can get by so can you.

Having said that have a garmin camper sat nav BUT if the suggested route/road looks iffy then I don't take it. Generally check suggested route against a good old map and adjust the guidance if necessary.

Sad to say in many respects you pays your money and takes your chance. Just remember common sense is everything!

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you, appreciate the comments and advice.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have the Garmin Camper SatNav and are generally very pleased with it. The only objection we have is that, in order to avoid a narrow lane near our house, it goes a longer way around than we would.

We put it down to being in "fastest route" mode and presume that the longer route is, in fact, quicker because of road conditions.

When out of our own area we accept that the same logic will apply and we may have extra miles added. However, we prefer the security of knowing we will not hit a low bridge etc. to the alternative and are prepared for a few extra miles on our journey.

Incidentally, we have found the ability to be provided with an alternate route when there are delays ahead more than makes up for this.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you all. After the comments and links above, I have purchased the Garmin Camper SatNav.

I'm sure I'll be in touch again!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I dont think you need a dedicated camper one, we dont and are longer, wider, heavier and taller than you, I used TomTom for years but now use CoPilot for the iPhone as it has a routing profile for caravan and motorhomes although it is not the dedicated camper version.

I have recently been told about https://www.waze.com and also run this on the iPhone, it needs a data connection for live maps but uses very little data, the beauty of it is that it is "live" and gives real time routing based on other users on the same road as you updating traffic conditions, Its free so nothing to loose, and it handy for finding places of interest/shops etc in town.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My rule is...

I don't turn down a road just because the sat nav says I should...

I look at the road/signs/size and the I decide, not the machine.

My van is 6 metres 60 cms... never needed special sat nav

Just saying

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks. I will definitely try not to be a sheep, but will check before turns etc, thanks for the tip:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our MH is 7m with bikes on the back. I had to buy a second SatNav for general and MH use and thought about this issue myself. In the end I've gone for a second (non MH) TomTom Go 5000 because we've hardly ever been taken down an unsuitable road by the other one. Height warning signs and narrow road warning signs plus common sense are a huge help. When they're set to fastest route (as opposed to shortest route) you're on wider roads for most of the journey anyway.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I use Waze in my car.
It's owned by Google now I believe.
The live traffic mapping, and real-time input by other users can really be helpful.
It has an algorithm which supposedly learns the routes you like.

The only negative is of course how sensitive is the GPS chip in your phone and the odd time the phone loses a signal [usually just as you come up to a complex junction].

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When touring Croatia two years ago we travelled 11miles along a nice country road before arriving at a too low bridge. We had to make a "12" point turn, because of the narrow road, and retrace our route.

There was no warning along the road before the bridge itself.

I hope a well mapped SatNav might help avoid in future.

I agree with all those who say a dedicated motorhome/truck SatNav is not necessary. But, then again, neither is TV or a G&T. However, if you decide that one is helpful then go and get it for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back