Satnav concerns

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Gary217, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Hi - being new on here I'm not sure if this is in the right place, I also tried searching on the topic but didn't find anything (probably my fault!).

We're moving up from a VWT5 camper with a poptop to a higher roofed La Strada Pronto, based on the Ford Transit so it is 2.7m high as opposed to the our previous 1.9m van. When were in France a few weeks ago we were passing a large town (I can't remember which one) and the satnav took us through an underpass that was about 2.5m high - scary but the van fitted, phew! However, if we'd been in our new van it would have been a different matter and I did notice a larger motorhome went round the roundabout above the underpass. I guess their satnav avoided the low underpass.

So, I'm thinking I need to upgrade our satnav but the only facility we need is to put in the height as our van is not particularly wide, long or heavy. Basically all I really need is the same satnav a plumber needs for their high roof transit. Any advice on which are the best, basic satnav with height option please?....spending as little as possible as the Mrs says we've already overstretched our budget on the van .

Thanks

2. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Just be aware that no matter how clever a sat nav is at taking notice of the size of the vehicle you're driving, it can only avoid things like low bridges if the mapping used on the sat nav carries such detail.

And don't forget, a sat nav never takes you anywhere! It's just an aid to driving - you have the steering wheel control and it's still necessary to read the road and the road signs. Even in France, things like low bridges are signed before you reach them so listen to the roadsigns, not just the sat nav.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Apparently the 'Motorhome' satnavs may only take your dimensions into account on 'most major roads ' as stated on the websites I looked at
    Once you're off the major roads - you're on your own

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Keep your sat nag you have now and invest in a cheap Chinese truck sat nag. We paid about thirty quid for ours I believe they have gone up a few squids now but you can put your height/width/length into it and that does help. Also a reminder sign for you placed on the dash also helps.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Many members bought the Chinese truck sat navs from eBay (brands like NozaTec and xGody) so if you search for those terms you will find plenty of threads giving the pros and cons, those who like them and those who don't.
    Some of us also bought the Garmin Camper 760 when it was on offer at Aldi earlier this year.

I've put together my notes of sat nav experiences in our vans Here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You could load Low Bridge Height POIs .. http://www.lowbridges.com/

you select the minimum bridge height.. it would then alert you to anything lower.. but won't automatically route around it..

.. that's up to you

they also have width and weight

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

From my limited experiance drivng an American RV at 3+Mtrs high, round France there always seemed an alternative lane that took you round a roundabout at every underpass we came across, so you have a choice depending on height, you do need to keep your eyes open, after very nearly shooting down the first one we came across, it kinda concentrated the mind
    G

8. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

The better satnav truck maps have an indicator light telling you whether the road you are on is covered by the map in terms of size, bridges etc. However, as an earlier poster said, that doesn't mean you won't come across something out of the ordinary and you have the con Mr Spock!

9. GWG

GWG Funster

We use an iPad for a Satnav, with the Navmii App installed.
    You can use the Goods/RV option instead of a car for Route Planning. It seems to route you round underpasses etc and works out an Eta suitable for a slower vehicle. We are 8m x 3m High.
    The App is free, I think Uk maps are free, and you buy country maps for a few quid, so you can tailor the maps to suit where you are going. It also gives a nice big screen (on iPad) to follow your route.
    Works on iPhone as well, so great for City walking, with good street maps.
    We have done around 8k miles this year around Europe(Spain,France,Germany,Switzerland,) and although the boss keeps a map check, the App has performed exceptionally well for v little money.

10. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

11. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks for all the replies - a couple of further questions from those please...

- does Navmii on iPad or iPhone require data roaming?

- I've seen the budget satnavs with height etc on ebay, does anyone know if they're reliable...seem too cheap to be true

Thanks

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you search here for Chinese truck sat nav or Noza Tec you will find a number of threads in which some say they are happy with them, some don't like them and others are in between. You then have to decide which you think most credible :)

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

My satnav has options for Truck, Taxi, Bus, Emergency vehicle, I always leave it on the car setting as I find this tends to plot the best routes.

14. GWG

GWG Funster

No Navmii does not need Internet - only for Map downloads, and updates of course. On the road it just uses the Gps of the iPad, as all data is on iPad. V handy for planning next day's routes while sitting on an Aire, sipping (sipping? ) a glass of red. If you have no internet it still works. Also re routing if you go off-course is also v good. Eg get stuck in a one way system in a city ( Munich -Oktoberfest ) it got us out very well, even avoiding the Toll/emission zones.

15. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

That's brilliant thanks - will try Navmii soon.

16. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Resurrecting this thread slightly, have been testing Navmii free to see how we get on with it and so far, fairly good. I'm using it on an iphone5s and after a couple of teething problems have got it doing what it should and, for a free app, it is pretty impressive.

The good points for me are that having a good quality sounding but fairly basic radio in the van with only an Aux socket and no bluetooth I can play music from the phone and the satnav directions also come out over the radio speakers so I get a good balance. Also I only need one device connected for satnav and music/podcasts. The phone is a bit smaller than the tom tom but is still very legible.

One quirk it has is that I have it on truck/RV setting and I have run it locally where I know the route but there's a route to a local town via narrow back roads of the sort I would like to avoid in the van and the alternative is through another village but there is a weight restriction of 7.5 tons. Sadly Navmii wants to take me down the narrow, winding back roads, I guess, in order to avoid the weight restriction. I need to do a bit more testing alongside my standard car-spec tom tom.
    The other annoying thing is that I cannot find out what parameters or dimensions Navmii uses for truck/RV and there is no option to input these.

I do like it and am on the verge of buying some upgrades (which compared to a full-spec satnav are peanut cost) but before I do and sort of convert over, does anyone have a view on how good their routing, especially in Europe, is? Also, does the truck/RV setting really avoid those narrow, 'likely to scratch the side of the van' roads?

17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

The last software update killed of Navmii for me. For a backup sat nav i changed to mapfactor (also free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator

The maps also seem more up to date. I have also got a version of Aponia truck navigation that i am trying to crack. You can get that on a free trial from the google store also to try before you buy.

18. Larby

Larby Funster

• Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

For "possible satnav error" I read "assumed satnav error". Makes a better news story to blame the satnav.

Wyn