Satisfaction from something simple.....Motorway Services (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You're joking Brian! Don't go there with UK qualifications expecting to get a job doing that! - you have to do their training and pass their exams to be eg a bricklayer or a plumber or an electrician ... even when it's just your own house ...... and don't break the speed limit either, because if there isn't a radar or the police aren't evident - some other driver will take your number and report you! :ROFLMAO:

Every Tradesman is licensed, in Nsw and Queensland ( I worked in both) This was to protect the Consumer, AND raise taxes for the State Governments. You had to show your Indenture Papers, and sit an Oral exam. It cost me A$120 a year.

Speed Cameras, as well as the usual hand held models, can be placed in Parked cars left alongside the road, the Pictures are downloaded every day. In some states there are some in the Catseyes in the road. If there are no Speed Limit signs, if you have Street Lights on one side of the Road, It's a 50km limit.
It is not in the Aussies nature to Dobb anyone in to the Authoritys for a minor offence like speeding.
In NZ the speed cameras on the Patrol cars are that refined they can pick your car from a busy three lane highway, scan it, and take a photo, all in a split second WITH the patrol car on the opposite side of the road travelling at speed!

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I think I should get bonus points for keeping my 3 kids locked in the van for refreshments, toilet break, drink and snack saving everyone from enduring erm I mean meeting the 3 adorable loves in the services!! :ROFLMAO:

I'm just sorry I can't keep them contained the whole duration of any break we have! :roflmto:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Don't most (All?) of these service areas ban the use of naked flames in an attempt to stop you brewing your own? :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You too.

You don't get hand crafted, thick, firm, erotic froth on top, you an oil slick of chemicals a few molecules thick. An oil slick unable to support the required chocolate topping.

Oh dear, oh dear.
I dont get that on my nescafe either Brian, but i know which i prefer :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't most (All?) of these service areas ban the use of naked flames in an attempt to stop you brewing your own? :Angry:

That has always been the case, it is to conform to fire regulations, no gas may be used in the 'van' because of the risk from fire and/or explosion.

Therefore cooking and running the fridge on gas is prohibited.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a friend if mine has a 24volt kettle in his truck and he says it takes 37 miles to boil.
so when about 40 miles from hes destination he plugs it in so he can have a brew when he gets there.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As an aside but picking up on part of the op post.. cheapest diesel here is £1.42.9p and thats Tescos...

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
That has always been the case, it is to conform to fire regulations, no gas may be used in the 'van' because of the risk from fire and/or explosion.

Therefore cooking and running the fridge on gas is prohibited.

Oh right, so there's more of a risk than an actual campsite???? Just like Cinema's say it's "illegal" to take your own food into a film with you.....hmmm..... I can't say I looked, but didn't see any "no gas" signs in the Caravan parking area at Strensham?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh right, so there's more of a risk than an actual campsite???? Just like Cinema's say it's "illegal" to take your own food into a film with you.....hmmm..... I can't say I looked, but didn't see any "no gas" signs in the Caravan parking area at Strensham?

You were too busy drinking coffee.....

...and gloating :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]Oh right, so there's more of a risk than an actual campsite????[/HI] Just like Cinema's say it's "illegal" to take your own food into a film with you.....hmmm..... I can't say I looked, but didn't see any "no gas" signs in the Caravan parking area at Strensham?

Yes, in the event of a fire there is a much greater risk of fire spreading due to the close proximity of other vehicles.. There is no rule against eating or drinking your own food.

If you ever see a disaster unfolding, you will appreciate the wisdom behind the Club’s requirement to keep at least six metres between the walls of adjacent caravans. This is to ensure that occupants can escape quickly without being impeded; it also provides room for emergency service staff access.

This gap may also help prevent a neighbour’s touring or motor caravan from catching fire. Although this will not eliminate such risk entirely, it should delay a fire’s spread long enough for evacuation of surrounding units, and possibly enough for removal of these units.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I can "sort of" see mileage in that. It's probably a combination of Fire Regs and company rules rather than law.

For all those that live in Semi-Detatched houses, you'd better make sure your gas is off as your neighbour are close to you....... Glad I don't have gas where I live, but then I don't have neighbours close either, phew, safe! ::bigsmile:

Still didn't see any signs saying that I couldn't use gas, if it's the case and I'm sure it is, they need to make it a bit more obvious. BTW, although not really that relevant, the nearest vehicle to us was about 50 metres away. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back