Saterllite Dish or Dome..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Destination Unknown, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

At the moment we have the Maxview wind up dish which is fine but at times a faff. If we were to change it (To work into Europe) which is a decent dish/dome to go for at a decent cost aswell.

Think it would have to be twin lmb so if we wanted we could either fit a second box or record channels.

2. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Or put more plainly, it looks as if you won't be able to get any English channels other than BBC World south of northern or perhaps at a push middle France next year whatever sort of dish you have. But we will have to wait until it happens first to know the limits of the range of the satellite. Might be better using the money to buy boxed sets. :Smile:

4. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The latest info I have seen puts the changeover to March 2014

5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

40cm dome

Our dome system only works at the moment down to around Limoges.

Nothing at all in Spain for British TV

When the changes affect the satellite - who knows?

6. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Dish or dome

Hi

As mentioned, the satellite footprints are changing so I'd be tempted to sit on the fence for a while and wait for some reliable reception reports to come in, if overseas reception is a necessity.

In September, we were in Italy at Lake Garda. I could not get channel 5 for love or money as this channel has "already moved". At Lake Maggiore, it came back, so, based on that, I suspect BBC and ITV in Northern Italy will become more of a challenge.

Now to dish or dome - I have had three systems, an Oyster, a Camos Dome and a Kathrein. The Kathrein goes with me from van to van, so I think that speaks volumes.

I took a few pics and wrote a bit about the three sysyems - here if you want a shufty.

What I will say though, when I bought the present van, it did not have a Status aerial as standard - I had this fitted as an extra. If you are getting a conventional dish, there will be times, such as this weather now, when you cannot use it. A dome however would be windproof.

Russ

7. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

Hi, We are S/E of Bordeaux S/W France and have no problems with our standard Dish - Free Sat domestic setup YET!!:pray::wooo: