Satellite

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

If I am asking this question on the wrong site I am sure someone will let me know so here goes.. We are looking at a MAXVIEW 850mm Automatic seeker pop-up sat system for the next ( and final ) van and would appreciate your views if you have one, or can recommend any other similar makes.? ? We tried doing it the cheap way with dish, tripod, and sat finder etc and it drove me mad ( To the amusement of onlookers ). We are not avid TV addicts but want the ability to watch, when we see a good programme is on.. Your input will be gratefully received, so thanks in advance.. Yours Mitch and Jenny..

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i have found that in uk the digital freeview channels are all thats needed and no satellite needed either as for abroad well some say down south of spain past barcelona you need at least a 1mtr dish and its also possible to get channels via the net from a laptop this plugged ito your tv via a svideo lead should be enough i know its something i will try when im in spain

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I am wary of Maxview sat systems as they are re-badged other makes which are usually available cheaper from other sources.. about the middle of the road as far as quality goes

Having said that, I have been dealing with the company since 1971 and although they do occasionally slip, in general offer a very good customer back up service

Whilst I appreciate other people seem to have quite a problem getting Sky down south, I fitted a decent LNB to my system ( a simple 5 minute swap out that almost anyone can do ) at a cost of just a few quidlets, which means I get most of the Sky channels right down as far as Zahora ( about 30 miles south of Cadiz ) on my 60cm dish

An 85cm dish with a decent LNB ( Low Noise Block, it is the thing that sits on the arm in front of the dish... The LOWER the number it is, the better.. So a .1dB unit is considerably better than a .6dB one for instance ) SHOULD get you a signal over almost all of 'visitable' Europe

4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Thanks JAWS thats great info and a super tip about the LNB which I reckon many others will benefit from. The maxview one has a twin universal with 0.2 db.. so seems OK.. Very grateful to you for taking the time to respond so informatively..Thanks... Mitch..

• Like Like x 1
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

If it helps anyone to appeas their partner at not missing out on soaps, we are currently down at Zahora (almost as far south in Spain as one can get) and have a 12volt sky box and Mobilsat auto dish and we are receiving

BBC1, ITV1,CH4, SKY1,LIVING, ATLANTIC,WATCH,
    GOLD, DAVE,COMEDY, ITV3,SKY2,SKY LIVING,FX,CHALLENGE,MTV,COMEDY,S4C,MTV,QUEST, BIO,CHALLENGE,PBS,MEN &MOVIES+1,HOME,GOOD FOOD,REALLY,HOME & HEALTH,(DISCOVERY,+1,HISTORY,TURBO,and SCIENCE, ANIMAL PLANET,NAT.GEO,and WILD, HISTORY, EDEN,BLIGHTY and CRIME

How do I know , I have just driven Lynda mad grazing them all

If you bring her down here and she misses her favourite soap please do not blame me.

6. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Thanks LANESIDE. That sounds very good mate, much oblige for the input..All information gratefully received.. Enjoy yourselves.. Mitch and Jenny.