satellite tv

Discussion in 'How To' started by bobble, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bobble

bobble Read Only Funster

Has anyone got a good compass for aligning roof mounted dish ? The one that came with my dish is useless.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i know what you mean.....bin it and get a good one from an outdoor/orienteering shop....Millets or similar sell 'em.:thumb:

what dish do you have?

by the way....just noticed its your first post so welcome to the fun

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. bobble

bobble Read Only Funster

It's a Maxview manual

4. pappajohn

good dish.....thats what i have.:thumb:

you only need to find north as you know and a good compass will do that.

5. pappajohn

do you use a satfinder as well or just point and hope?

6. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

If you have a watch or clock with hands on it you can always use that to find south How to use your watch as a compass
    or even easier just look at the vans around you & see which way they are pointing :RollEyes:.

I can usually get my cheap suitcase type dish up & running while some of these automatic ones are spinning backwards & forwards :Eeek:

7. stagman

stagman Deleted User

I had trouble with my compass until I realised that I needed to be outdoors to take readings as the compass was being affected with the interior of the van EMFs etc . Take the compass outside well away from other vans and even the cheapest compass should work . As P.J. says the Maxview is easy to use but if you have a receiver with signal strenght meter you won't even need a compass.:thumb:

8. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I have used numerous compasses but none will work anywhere near the van, they always point north south along the length of the van. So I walk away from the van, take a reading, lay a stick or something along the line, then use that for a guide. Usually though I just guess.

Ralph

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

The trouble is looking at the vans around you (unless in England) can be miss-leading..I live in France and while we motorhome in France my wife watches English TV.. We are in a motorhome with French number plates on!!! and if you see the ammount of FRENCH motorhomers look at mine and try to set there tv up to it, the satelite dish gets dizzy going around and back to the same spot in the end they wind the dish back down and give up unless I say to them we are watching uk tv then a big smile comes on there faces and there arms are all over the place. I use a good compass

10. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I bought a digital compass off E-Bay £14 inc p&p. It also doubles as a inside and ouside thermometer. You velcro it to the dash drive arround in a big circle and it calibrates itself even though it is inside the M/H.

Andy

11. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

My digital compass didn't work in the van either, although I never noticed calibration instructions.

Ralph