Satellite TV in France for residents (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We are presently staying on our son's field in Southern France. They are having problems getting a reliable satellite TV, phone and broadband service. They are using a satellite service provided by Nordec, which is very expensive and has a very limited capability, usually being automatically capped after just 2 weeks.

The landline suppliers are unable or willing to offer broadband at all owing to their remote location, in spite of the promises made about serving even the remotest locations.

It seems that others living in France have an adequate service, and I'm guessing that some are also in country locations. Suggestions would be most welcome.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
It is a poor state of affairs in many areas of France, we have on a good day 2mb download speeds and frequently less. Don't understand why you are having problems with the tv if you have an 80cm+ dish there should be no worries. The satellite option for broadband is horrendously expensive and usually includes all sorts of caps/limits and restrictions. If there is a good mobile orange reception you can buy airbox 3g thingy but again 10euros=1gb expensive for anything other than emails. If you don't have a good/reasonable orange signal, you are goosed.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It is a poor state of affairs in many areas of France, we have on a good day 2mb download speeds and frequently less. Don't understand why you are having problems with the tv if you have an 80cm+ dish there should be no worries. The satellite option for broadband is horrendously expensive and usually includes all sorts of caps/limits and restrictions. If there is a good mobile orange reception you can buy airbox 3g thingy but again 10euros=1gb expensive for anything other than emails. If you don't have a good/reasonable orange signal, you are goosed.
There is almost no mobile signal here. Orange is a shared line, we are on the end, and it just does not work reliably. The dish is smaller than that at 60cm, reception is useless. We are way down south, I understand that even 1m dishes can be insufficient here. Thanks for your reply though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Whereabouts in southern France.. If it the south west 65cm is OK to south of Limoges but an 85 cm loses TV around Montauban.. We are just OK where we live for our landline to be close enough to the local exchange to have broadband, but others a little further away have the sat. broadband.

Try www.bigdishsat.com or www.the-french-house.net both have been dealing with these issues in France for years, perhaps 25 years between them, they should have the answers..

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Whereabouts in southern France.. If it the south west 65cm is OK to south of Limoges but an 85 cm loses TV around Montauban.. We are just OK where we live for our landline to be close enough to the local exchange to have broadband, but others a little further away have the sat. broadband.

Try www.bigdishsat.com or www.the-french-house.net both have been dealing with these issues in France for years, perhaps 25 years between them, they should have the answers..
80 kilometres north of Pau, not too much further south than Montauban, I guess roughly level with Toulouse, but possibly the Pyrenees affects things. I'll check up on these links, for which thanks very much.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
80 kilometres north of Pau. I'll check up on these links, for which thanks very much.

With our 85cm dish we lose signal south of Agen.. I know there is a british satellite guy somewhere near Auch.. you'll need to search for one near you on the expat forums..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back