Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Is there any difference between Avtex and Cello regarding the satellite tuner and ease of use?
My cello came with all satellites pretuned . It was so simple to set up .got Astra 1 &2 and hotbird set at moment but will do the others when I am back in France . Cant really comment on the Avtex but from what I am led to believe its just as easy . .but I am no techno . Just an ordinary numpty with electronic devices. All can say is you makes your choice and pays your money .. Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Cello sell a range of TVs. I would recommend the traveller range, which is a bit more expensive. I have the true HD one (with HD freeview and freesat tuners) which is here, and I think it is very good for the money.
Been well pleased with mine @peterc10 .also having Bluetooth is extremely useful . Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
That is one feature I wish the Avtex did have, would be handy for audio hook up (you can do it over radio to cab headunit, but Bluetooth would be easier/more flexible).
Using the Bluetooth in conjunction with a small audio bar I can take bar outside and listen to the tv radio channels or music ...Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Cello sell a range of TVs. I would recommend the traveller range, which is a bit more expensive. I have the true HD one (with HD freeview and freesat tuners) which is here, and I think it is very good for the money.
I am getting a bit confused is that defiantly freesat or free to air on the satellite tuner

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Recently purchased and fit snipe 2 (very easy to fit, very little diy knowledge needed) we go out wild camping nearly every other weekend (Thurs - Sunday) and have only ever been to one place where we could not get a signal (Lake Vyrnwy) But saying that we have never got any form of signal there ever - mobile/wifi/TV - so no surprise that the snipe 2 didnt get any, works really good, very easy to use, basically idiot proof, if attempting to fit yourself look first at where you will enter your roof with cables (x2 very thin cable) this should be the only hole you will drill unless you have a fridge vent on the roof and your tv is near to it, If buying from Germany you get the fixing plate included which can just be bonded to the roof with sikaflex... then you could use the vent as an entry point... otherwise one hole to take the 2 cables and a cable roof gland - also bonded to the roof...cable run once inside the van (behind cupboards etc to sat controller & 12v power) job done ! Paid around £550 for mine frome Germany and it arrived 2 days later (faster than royal mail in this country) If getting someone else to fit i should imagine your looking at around £200 - its a couple of hours work and not hard.
PS: You will need a sat tuner or tv with a biult in one, all the latest avtex tvs come with them now me thinks.. so if your budget is £1000 you may just do it if fitting yourself.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am getting a bit confused is that defiantly freesat or free to air on the satellite tuner
As far as I know, both the Cello and Avtex will have free to air satellite tuners, not Freesat. Freesat would probably require the tv manufacturers to pay additional licenses to use such. The standard free to air satellite service provides hundreds of channels, you just don't get a multi-day EPG facility with all the program details. I'm sure other more knowledgeable types will be able to provide more details if necessary.

I could see no mention of Freesat on the Cello Traveller website details, it states:-

"Terrestrial & Satellite Tuners for all Free to air HD channels (DVB-T/T2 DVB-S2)"

or under Specifications:-

"Digital Freeview DVB-T2 HD"

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Thanks for your reply Kool Krooza I will have no problem fitting it myself as I am an electrician and fitted a Glomex system to my last MH.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a 19" Cello Traveller, been pleased with the picture quality is very good and viewing angle quite good, sound like all small TV not too good but we run through the van's sound system.
The Freesat tuner is a bit annoying as it takes a long time to tune in and when you change satellites looses all your favorites, bought an Icecrypt sat tuner that is much better retains all the sat setting makes changing satellites very easy.

Going to need a 22" TV for the new van been looking at Finlux as they get good reports on Fun but spec doesn't look that good, contrast & brightness poor compared to Cello but they are a £100 cheaper, £130 at the moment.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Freesat is a brand name of a EPG (Electronic Program Guide) it is delivered by DVB-S (Di
I will be getting a motor-home soon and want to put an automatic satellite system onto it. So keeping in mind budget which system is better, 90% of the time will be in UK.

Dome or folding dish? is the snipe2 the way to go?

I know wind could be a problem with a dish and they tend to be more expensive.

How does a dome compare with the snipe?

Would like to budget around £1000 not including fixing.

Thanks in advance.

We install a lot of the AS4, this units big brother. With your Funsters discount we could supply one of these out at around your budget for self install, or there are dozens of on line suppliers

Alden isn't so well known in the UK as say Oyster, but very popular in France and Germany as a quick Google search would show

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@peterc10 Just been having a read through this thread. The Cello to you mention...Does this tv give you local channels in whichever country you are visiting?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10 Just been having a read through this thread. The Cello to you mention...Does this tv give you local channels in whichever country you are visiting?
Sandra, yes it does, as long as you have a TV aerial. The only exception is in Portugal and for some reason we could not pick up digital or analogue signals at all there. Having said that there seem to be less free digital stations over in Europe. UK Freeview has a lot more, but then most of them I would never want to watch.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Go for snipe 2 with your budget and you will have a great bit of kit and change if you buy from Germany.if you want to go posh then buy it at premium with the Avetex designer label on at a much inflated price....bought mine from Germany and had it fitted by local motorhome dealers for £80 . Total price < £650 .Roy
Wow £80 for fitting, that's cheap, just cost me £43 for adhesive & activator/primer (sealants online) to do the job

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was looking at the ones from Germany just wondering how the guarantee would work?
Not very good imo, you have to send it back to Germany at your expense. Personally I prefer to purchase in the U.K. , albeit £70 more expensive, but if it goes wrong they arrange everything and I prefer to spend my money with small local companies

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not very good imo, you have to send it back to Germany at your expense. Personally I prefer to purchase in the U.K. , albeit £70 more expensive, but if it goes wrong they arrange everything and I prefer to spend my money with small local companies
Guaranteed just a good zo why spend more than you have to

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've bought the original Snipe and a Snipe 2 through Red Apple in the UK, the units ship from Germany and are supplied complete with base plate (which can cost extra in .U.K.). The original Snipe was sent back via Red Apple for warranty repair, it was a straight forward and painless exercise, returned to my home address in circa 2 weeks I think.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I've bought the original Snipe and a Snipe 2 through Red Apple in the UK, the units ship from Germany and are supplied complete with base plate (which can cost extra in .U.K.). The original Snipe was sent back via Red Apple for warranty repair, it was a straight forward and painless exercise, returned to my home address in circa 2 weeks I think.
Glad to hear that RB, I used the same company as a result of yourself and others who spoke positively about the company and so far found them very helpful

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Guaranteed just a good zo why spend more than you have to
My German is s**t, just prefer to speak to a local company in the U.K. and if necessary I can always turn up at there premises
Everyone different and I get buying direct from Germany, just not for me

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I went to the newark show last weekend with a view to getting a snip2, of the four companies I spoke to 3 said the wont supply as they have too many problems with them, they would fit my unit if I bought it myself, but any warranty problems would need to been sorted myself. This put me off, how good are they, are they really tht problematic? . I have a the moment a stand outside vucube which has been great, but I fancied a roof mounted unit this time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Mk1 had a few problems, Mk 2 big improvements time will tell.
I have order one for the new van 3 reasons I've gone for a Snipe again, the reception is very good nearly as good as an 85cm dish, they still work in high winds and at a third of the price of an Oyster I'll still be quids in if it fails in 3 years and I have to replace it.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
The Mk1 had a few problems, Mk 2 big improvements time will tell.
I have order one for the new van 3 reasons I've gone for a Snipe again, the reception is very good nearly as good as an 85cm dish, they still work in high winds and at a third of the price of an Oyster I'll still be quids in if it fails in 3 years and I have to replace it.

do you have the foot print size for mounting, Im trying to work out the roof space required and to see whats left for solar panal fitting

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I went to the newark show last weekend with a view to getting a snip2, of the four companies I spoke to 3 said the wont supply as they have too many problems with them, they would fit my unit if I bought it myself, but any warranty problems would need to been sorted myself. This put me off, how good are they, are they really tht problematic? . I have a the moment a stand outside vucube which has been great, but I fancied a roof mounted unit this time.
Not had any issues with mine..would suggest a bit of sour grapes is running through some of the suppliers that want only to supply and fit the £2000 jobs with huge profit margins. Imo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back