May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a satellite receiver and have discovered a receiver which can be used either on 12v DC or 230v AC supply and comes with an infrared sensor for operation by the remote. The particular model is a Maxview MXL020.
Apologies if this question has been asked before, but does anyone own or has used this type of receiver. I would be very interested to have your opinions on how good (or otherwise) this receiver is in practice.

cheers,
offwego

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have to grin when I see Maxview name.. Had an account with em for 10 years when I was installing aerials ..
Anyways...........

That receiver
It is the same as the one you can get from Lidl or Aldi as a complete kit ( inc lead, dish, stand, alignment meter etc ) for an average of £50 to £60.

The only difference is that Maxview add a wee little mains to 12v PSU ( £4.40 from eBay ! ) so allowing it to be used on either mains or 12v

Shop around would be my advise

BTW, have to ask.. Are you intending on using the tuner at home as well as in the van ?
If it is JUST for the van then you do not need the 240v anyway.

If your not on hook up you will use the 12v
If you are on hookup you will still use the 12v as the batteries are being charged anyway

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They are nice bits of kit PJ...

Oh and having looked on fleabay I found this:

Link Removed

But if like me you have a sky card try this one ( same as mine )
Link Removed

You can move your sky card from box to box but apparently Sky Sports will not work ( no idea cos we do not have Sky sports )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are nice bits of kit PJ...

Oh and having looked on fleabay I found this:

Link Removed

But if like me you have a sky card try this one ( same as mine )
Link Removed

You can move your sky card from box to box but apparently Sky Sports will not work ( no idea cos we do not have Sky sports )
Comag is one of the receivers usually included in the suitcase type kits....works ok but not the best quality.

Pace Javelin.......first ever sky box i had.....bit dated and no knobs and whistles but work very well.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Comag is one of the receivers usually included in the suitcase type kits....works ok but not the best quality.

Spot on and is what the Maxview one is ! :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Have to grin when I see Maxview name.. Had an account with em for 10 years when I was installing aerials ..
Anyways...........

That receiver
It is the same as the one you can get from Lidl or Aldi as a complete kit ( inc lead, dish, stand, alignment meter etc ) for an average of £50 to £60.

The only difference is that Maxview add a wee little mains to 12v PSU ( £4.40 from eBay ! ) so allowing it to be used on either mains or 12v

Shop around would be my advise

BTW, have to ask.. Are you intending on using the tuner at home as well as in the van ?
If it is JUST for the van then you do not need the 240v anyway.

If your not on hook up you will use the 12v
If you are on hookup you will still use the 12v as the batteries are being charged anyway

Hi Jaws,

Many thanks for your informative reply. In answer to your question, The receiver will only be used in the van as I already have a "Technisat" box installed at home with HDMI output. Very happy with this unit. As the TV in the van is not HDMI ready, this is not a consideration.
I really don't want to be bothered swapping around boxes and connectors.
On the basis of your advice, and others on here who replied, I think shopping around a little more may be the best if not the cheapest alternative.

offwego

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back