Satellite question (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
After a few days away with terrible TV reception we are thinking about fitting a satellite system. I have found this on eBay
Broken Link Removed
Has anybody got one or better recommendations?

Thanks
John.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have sat at home; and you want to try it out buy a dish and tripod off fleabay and take your box.

then if you like it invest in a better set up.

personally we always use sat and i stick with a dish on a tripod out of preference as you dont have to park the van in line of site of the satellite.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If you happy spending 10/15 minutes (until you have done it loads of times) sighting the correct satellite then dish on a tripod is the cheapest and sometimes the best way. We started off with dish on a tripod and got it down to 5 minutes picture on screen, but got a second hand Mobilsat system so sold dish. Be aware using an auto system will add 10/20 +kg to your roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I had one of these ---- Broken Link Removed

Easy to set up in minutes and light weight. I know it will work half way down France - Many won't.
It doesn't seem to say what size dish or equivalent it is. The Camos is 65cm equivalent
I will pick up all the other satellites but they are waste of time as all are foreign language channels.
If you just want it for this country it could be a good buy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Be aware their terms and conditions shown do not comply with current legislation so may give problems. On this basis, personally, wouldn't go anywhere near them.:((n)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Be aware their terms and conditions shown do not comply with current legislation so may give problems. On this basis, personally, wouldn't go anywhere near them.:((n)
Did you read the very bottom line of the T & C's ( in very small print ) ? I think it has been added by eBay them selves !!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It does have a lot of competition, all of which are considerably more expensive. 'You get what you pay for' comes to mind.
Smaller dishes, and I do not know what size this one is, have limited reception range.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did you read the very bottom line of the T & C's ( in very small print ) ? I think it has been added by eBay them selves !!
Yeh did see that John hence the reason for the previous post, conflicting information. The quoted t&c's are not in compliance so could you end up in a bun fight?:unsure: Personally, I wouldn't purchase from them in case there was an issue.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I had a tripod system, but got fed up with being the campsite entertainment! I had compasses, a Satfinder and an app called DishAlign on my phone. All to no avail.

The conversation with wife went thus;
"Anything?"
"No"
"What about now?"
"No"
"Eh?"
"I said NO!!! For chrissake"

I knew all the theory, like moving it a smidge at a time and the 'skew' but a divorce was more likely than a picture!

image.jpeg
So I bought a Snipe and since, have denied other campers the entertainment of a 'domestic'.

I haven't permanently mounted mine on the roof (A) Because I don't want holes in the roof (B) Because I don't want the vehicle height increased (C) I want to keep the unit if I sell the van.

Ok, so it's a bit of a nause to pop it up through the rooflight, but I sometimes just plonk it on a table outside the van - keeping an eye on it obviously.

Now, there's no arguments or standing on one leg to get a picture. I plug it in, the internal GPS finds us, it whirrs away and locks on. Job done! Works well all the way into France too.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I had one of these ---- Broken Link Removed

Easy to set up in minutes and light weight. I know it will work half way down France - Many won't.
It doesn't seem to say what size dish or equivalent it is. The Camos is 65cm equivalent
I will pick up all the other satellites but they are waste of time as all are foreign language channels.
If you just want it for this country it could be a good buy.
We have had the same one for a few years and works it well.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if i was pressed into having a roof fitted satellite it would be the Dish type not a dome and as big as space would allow.
main draw back of a roof dish is high winds and locating the van for line of site. dome same problem with line of site but naturally not affected by the winds.
But, dont be put off by the setting up a dish on a tripod. it takes me little more than a few minutes; you just need the right sat meter and a small amount of common scene. a fraction of the cost and infinately more flexible.

one last caveat if you want to mainly use Aires then putting out a tripod is likely ( but not always ) to be frowned upon so the only answer then is a roof mounted sat.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My van came with a Maxview dish which you crank up and align by looking where your neighbours dish is pointing. Usually get a fair signal using the tv to show the signal strength. In truth it is not ideal but we are not very interested in watching the tv in the Motorhome, so I usually only have a look at the News as a challenge to see if I can get it; then turn it off.
Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back