Satellite or Set a Light

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brakers, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Ok Chuckle buddies
    I am in the process of deciding which 85cm dish satellite system to get,

I have searched this forum for satellite info but they did not really cover what I want. I want to be able to record and feed two tv’s but only record from one in the lounge area. I have been looking at various systems and most have twin LNB’s which would feed and record to one tv and receiver but not feed the other one, am I correct in that assumption?

I will probably get an automatic system with an 85cm dish as I can’t be arsed with finding the satellite myself although I do understand it’s very easy once you have done it a few times. I have done it only once but then I’ve not long had the vehicle.

I do understand that a 60cm dish will pick up uk channels in the UK and part of Europe but want to extend that as far as possible, but also I do know I might have difficulty the further I go away from the UK.

For me to be able to record I think I need at least two LNB’s with two satellite coax leads going to the tv area one for the recorder and one for the tv Yes or No.

Not sure why this is as a Humax freeview only requires a through aerial to record and receive.

If yes I will need a socket on the wall with two satellite connections a 12v socket and a ordinary tv socket.

If I stick with one coax to the tv will I need another one as the TV I have is a Avtex 24” with free to air satellite receiver in it.
    But having said that I'm not impressed with the Avtex free to air guide and a few channels are missing which are on freesat.

Most satellite systems only have a twin LNB which if I’m recording will be taken up by the one tv and recorder. Can a twin LNB system be made to feed two tv’s with a spliter of some kind but perhaps still recording from one and watching the other.

Also the motorised systems prices vary from the Maxiview target £1700 to the seeker at £2100 not sure why prices vary as they both seem to do the same thing. Then there is the Oyster Digital Autoskew at £2549.00, then Oyster Vision Autoskew III £1999, the Oyster also Vision III £1959,
    Which all seem to do the same except for the Oyster Vision III which only has one LNB!

So what I’m asking if someone can clear up the confusion and also wish to hear from anyone who has an automatic system and if it can be updated and how they got on with the system and why they choose that system.

Also If anyone has been in Europe with one of these systems and how far they were away from the UK and still receiving UK channels.

I do realize that anyone who says they got UK cannels in far southern Spain or Italy might only be a fluke and not to be relied upon as I understand there are a lot of variables when receiving signals from satellites.

Also I think there are satellite dishes out there that can receive the internet as well as TV signals so although I would not be able to afford a internet package at the moment it might be prudent to pay the extra for a dish that can do both for when I can afford the internet.

And finally any general advice will be more than welcomed, please feel free to put your five eggs in, as the saying goes.

Many Thanks to all who contribute to this post.

Best Wishes Tony

2. Terry and Jan

Terry and Jan Funster

Sorry to much info......I need a glass of Rioja!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

oyster 85cm dish is good enough for most of france, so im told, and you could always tune to another satillite.
    go for the twin set up and you will be able to record. thats what i would do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I have a quad LNB but only use two ports....one for the lounge tv and one for the bed tv.
    Easy enough to add another coax for a recorder if I wanted one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brakers

HI Pappajohn can you change your LNB from a two to a four are they all compatible with all satellite sysetems.
    Many Thanks Tony

6. Brakers

Not sure what Rioja is but have a glass for me. (y)

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Yes, I can fit any LNB......but then, it is a sky mini dish on a tripod.....the same as you see on any house wall.

The cheapest options, less than 20 quid, are often the best.
    Only takes a few minutes to set up and lock on Astra.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

My two pennies worth: Do you really need satellite? We have travelled extensively in Europe, and have discovered freeview DTV to be perfectly adequate, the vast majority of local programmes will have English films with the local language subtitles.
    We tend to pick up a couple of English channels in our travels, but to be honest, the TV is really for our daughter, and we have DVD's in the van :D
    I'd be aiming more for a decent streaming TV service, so local data sim cards are your friend :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brakers

Ha Ha Ha Hi Daniel yes your correct you do make me laugh, half the things I have I don't need, but I want. As my Mum used to say "I Want, Never Gets" but I'm bigger now and still saying I want. Yes data sim cards are a good thing but you can soon go through GB's of data especially if you watch a few films and use it for internet Emails, surfing etc. I have a status aireal on my rig but can's seem to get a signal, well that's not true I get a signal but not the quality. I wil be taking my DVD's with me but you can only watch the same film etc so much before you get sick of it. I have a very good plan with EE 25GB of 4G data for £15 per mth but I seem to go through it fairly fast but can't use that in Europe you have to pay more for roaming. I have been looking at data sims in France but you don't get much data for the price you pay, If you could get unlimited data at a reasonable speed and price then that might be an option, but to pay say £600 per year I think it was for speeds of 6MB/Sec is not what I call streeming certain. I was on the understanding you can't get freeview far south, by the sound of it you are picking up local Euro stations not the UK ones is that correct and what aerial do you use? There is a lot to thing about and i'm open to all options so I will not rule anything out, but I do like things easy peasy and do not like ongoing bills, I have enough of them as it is, lol
    Best Wishes Tony

10. jumar

jumar Funster

PHEW!! For a moment I thought I had logged on to the wrong forum.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I would buy a cheap portable system @pappajohn suggested.

I used to take a laptop on holiday with me and now a tablet, using just free wifi (McDonalds etc) and found I can actually survive without the internet! I went to Spain for a week earlier this month (Ryanair) and only used the tablet to delete a load of useless emails and spam at the airport on the way back - helped pass the time...........

Freeview works fine in the van, and as for phones, I have one that just makes calls or texts!

I actually enjoy taking a holiday from technology and realised long ago that what passes for news normally has no effect on my life...........

Each to his own but the cheap system would suit me.... if I find I want/need one
    (y)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. jonegood

jonegood Funster

I agree with this but would just add - that I wonder if it would change if DC does manage to sort out the BBC. On our recent winter trip the French and Germans et all were watching their home stations on regular dishes ( even in Morocco). Its apparently easily possible and only 'licensing issues' preventing us from doing the same. The BBC might have a different view when they're trying to flog advertising and Filmon etc are getting all their viewers.

Jon

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Can't be just licensing issues when you can't get Sky

14. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

If you spent the dosh on a nice van and you can afford the automated system then go for it. Never mind Southern Europe we spend a lot of time in the lakes and Yorkshire Dales and there's no tv signal or very limited on some of the sites.

Reading some of your other posts though Tony I think you are fairly new to the wandering life. Most people change their van a few times before they finally settle into one for a few years. Maybe an Aldi portable special would suffice unless you are hitting Europe straight away.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oyster for us.. And yes, you can fit any standard necked LNB in a a few seconds :)
    As a bounus installing the Oyster system is a total doddle and well within the skill set of most folk who are not frightened of getting their hands dirty :D

Another bonus is that every single part of the Oyster system is replaceable .. Darrell's system is one of the very first, and the worm drive started to wear out last year.. New worm drive sir, no problem !

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I have a 65cm Oyster automatic satellite system. It is connected to a Sky + box powered from an inverter. In your case if you get the twin LNB system just run a coax lead from the powered outlet on the back of the box to the second tv, get a Magic Eye for this to and you can change the channel remotely from that second tv.

I can get full reception just south of Bordeaux and was surprised to be able to pick up some channels (not Bbc or ITV) just north of Teruel in the middle of Spain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

We have the 85cm Oyster system and a Sky + box, and as Xabia says you can just run a cable from the Sky box and use a magic eye for two TVs as we do at home. We can get most Sky channels as far down as Gibralter and southern Portugal, but not the top 5 (BBC 1, ITV etc), as these give up in Northern Spain. Surprisingly Channel 5 seemed to last the furthest south this year - not sure why! We had a different selection of channels at each stop on the southern coast of Spain this year, but always 80+ channels, so plenty.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

God, I'm glad we no longer have a tele in our van, couldn't stand all the stress:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Brakers

Hi chaser I probably would not need a tv as much if I had a partner to entertain me, if you know what I mean;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Hi Breakers, what I tend to do is record my favourite programs on my recorder until I fill it up at home or as much as l want. I then take it with me and play it back into my telly in the van. These modern digital recorders can record up to 500 hours... enough for anyone I would think. Obviously you will need a decent inverter. (y)

• Useful Useful x 1