Satellite Meter advice

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Stewart J, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Recently while in Southern Ireland I experienced great difficulty in latching onto a signal. I have a Multimo dish and have successfully used a £30 meter to align the dish, (Fringe Electronics TV and Sat finder) I just couldn't seem to align the dish at all on several occasions. A fellow motorhomer came to my rescue on one occasion and using a Satlink signal finder meter had me set up within a minute, looking on Ebay and checking various reviews the Satlink 6908 at £85 ish seems to fit the bill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-LCD-S...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item5d4a07e6f9

Anyone used one or can offer advice. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Anybody out there! :RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

3. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I cant help on meter choice, but when I had a Multimo dish I found it very dificult to locate the signal. Harder in fact than a suitcase system.
    Before the roof mounted sytem I always used a £10 ebay meter.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry, can't advise on that type.. far to expensive for me.. :Laughing:

I only ever used the cheap simple in-line whistle type ..

using a compass I pointed the dish and fine tuned until I got the loudest signal noise..

very crude but never let me down.. , downside , won't tell you if it's the right satellite

5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

As per Scotjimland or using the bar graph on the TV. Cheap & effective.

6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Always use that, wouldn't know how to use a finder.
    Just press the info button on the receiver remote and it does the same job as a finder for free.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Sat finder app for iphone is excellent for locating any satellite

8. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I recently bought an inline sat signal strength meter thing for Udo.

We read the instructions several times and couldn't work out EXACTLY how it works.

As far as I can see, the lounder the loise it makes, the better the signal. But you have a 'gain' knob that does just that, so (in my very limited experience) the device is utterly pointless.

I have the sat finder app, too. That's good. But no joy yet. Move the phone a few degrees, which corresponds little to where the sat dish is pointing, and all is lost and off you go with another satellite. It's like trying to walk a cat on a lead.

Haven't even seen a signal strength indicator on the TV. Must look for that.

So I bought an Avtex aerial and hope for better things next time. No doubt, that'll prove a dead loss as well.

It all proves that TV's aren't meant to be in motorhomes. I'm convinced that those who do use them have images painted on the screen to fool the rest of us that theirs actually work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

Think mine is the cheaper Satlink 6906. As you say works a treat and only takes a minute to set up. Cost about £60 at the time off EBay.

10. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

satelinks are the best meters under £100

they have built in satellite tv for loads of satellites and have many other uses
    like setting up cctv etc,. software ugrade over the net etc, my guys carry them in the vans as back up,, they are very good,,:thumb:

uk seller,
    very very good price this is the best one for satellite they have more expensive ones with spectrums on them but for mobile satellite set up this is great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-3-5-S...und_Vision_Signal_Finders&hash=item3ce111fc6e

:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I have one tried to use it in Spain recently unfortunately the battery was flat and wouldn,t charge, it was the first time I tried to use being new so a bit pd off I bought off Amazon so will have to look into it if I kept the paperwork. It is a decent piece of kit so don,t be put off by my trouble, I think I paid around £68.00 . Pete :Sad::Sad:

12. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

hi, I use a multimo dish, never had a problem with set up, couple of mins at most.i only use a signal finder with a series of red lights and an audible signal that sounds like a dentist's drill screaming when you hit the strong signal