Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
returning to motor homing.
Hi
I thought I would tap into the wealth of knowledge available so here goes.
I usually avoid French motorways, but had to use them a couple of times last year. On reaching the peage I had been charged a class rate that implied I was a vehicle over three metres high and it was very expensive. The van itself was not over 3m but the aerial on the roof had taken it over.
Shortly getting another van which is 2.9m high and I would like to put a satellite of some description on the roof.
Does anyone know of a worthwhile folding satellite system that would add less than 100mm to the roof height?
I presume the answer will be no. I will use it further down that mid France so in any case I suppose it would have to be a sizeable dish so I will either have to avoid the motorways or get a tripod mounted dish.
Does anyone use a dish mounted on the roof with flat cable through the window or roof light and how effective is this.
I can live without the satellite, but I am happy to have it installed if it does not cause too many issues that outweigh the benefits.
Any advice greatfully received!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
If your van is below the height that attracts the higher toll, but is activating that toll only because of the satellite dish, I'm sure a quick press of the help button would see your toll reduced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Will you be restricted to 100mm?
Does the new van have a raised luton, roof rails, etc which are included in the 2900mm height? If so, could the dish be higher than 100mm?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
f your van is below the height that attracts the higher toll, but is activating that toll only because of the satellite dish, I'm sure a quick press of the help button would see your toll reduced.
what is the height at which the higher rate starts? We have a 'tictac' thingy stuck to our windscreen so don't know what we've been charged until we get the statement when we get home!!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
This link explains the Classes:- http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.ham

If you drove from Calais to Reims for example, the difference between class 2 €33
And class3 €46 is €13

So yes it is more expensive, but there are lots of miles of free motorway to use as well

Like lots of things it is a compromise, a fully automatic system of the roof is a flick of a switch viewing with no setting up, putting away, and carting around inside the motorhome when not in use

A roof mounted system is generally more expensive, hill increase the height but infinitely more usable

You pays your money and all that......

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I would have thought that the Snipe 2 system is a fairly low profile. I will check, it is 192 mm folded Either way it is a relatively lightweight unit 11 kgs which I was proposing to hoick it up thro my Heiki rooflight or just set it on a wee table alongside the appropriate side to get a clean aim at the satellite. As a system it seems very good but I have not field tested it down in Frances' nether parts !

My van roof configuration allowed me to roof mount (I was reluctant as it meant screwing it down as well as the sikaflex) the unit and stay below the 3M height, which as you say is the penal target.

Because the snipe is a flat unit and not the almighty carbuncle that some are, I would hope that you may get away with it, unless some jobsworth was going to measure you ?? !! While he is putting the ladders up, nip round and deflate your tyres :whistle: !!

Last edited:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
My Teleco flatsat is only 17cm folded, just removed a dome for the same reason it was 40cm high, the motor home is 2.95 meters at its highest point.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Mine is approx 3.2mts high ,with satalite dish,never had a problem still pay class 2

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Bear in mind that the stated roof height may not be the same as the roof surface height, because skylights and other fittings will project above the roof surface. This is especially so on low profile vehicles.

Case in point: Our MH's roof height is given as 2.83m, and the Snipe 2 satellite receiver is around 20cms when folded, so one might assume a height of 3.03m. However, when I measured the maximum height of the roof after the receiver was fitted it was still below 3m, because it was the top of the rear skylight that was 2.83m from the ground.

The lowest folding automatic satellite receiver I could find was the Maxview, but there may be others. I went for the Snipe because it was cheaper and more compact.

Our last MH was 3.05m (skylight cowl on the Luton) but we were always charged at Classe 2 at Sanef booths. I think there's a bit of leeway.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
If you drove from Calais to Reims for example, the difference between class 2 €33
And class3 €46 is €13

So yes it is more expensive, but there are lots of miles of free motorway to use as well

Thanks for that piece of very useful information....we only use motorways to cross country borders...we find it more convenient that way as the roads are usually better...especially between France and Spain less wiggly...oh...we also use motorways to skirt large cities but these are usually free.:D

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If you are charged as class three at an unmanned booth (most of them seem to be these days) press the help button and tell the operator you are a camping car and a class two, and they will normally change it. They can usually see you on CCTV anyhow.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
I have a dome and as far as I'm aware any satellite or digital tv reception device isn't counted as an extra in money terms on AutoRoute's. I remember reading this a long time ago on the autoroute website. If the sensor picks me out at over height I just press the communication button and say camping car and it is changed to class 2.

Reactions: Pia
OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
As I hoped, loads of very useful and relevant advice.
As I understand it, the van body roof is 2.90m. It has a flat roof, with rooflights, solar panel etc all under 100mm.. I also have been advised that the height decreases when van is loaded with water and all the other clutter and suspension compresses.
I was aware of the difference in toll as I was travelling with my son who was in his car. The difference was quite considerable when we compared costs. I do usually avoid the toll motorways unless there is a reason that I need to make headway or have a city or bad road to avoid or am travelling with a son who has less patience than me!
I am open minded on the satellite system and will quite happily not bother if it causes me any hassle. Also as I said, I think that a bigger dish would be required for mid to South France, so anything on the roof would take me well over 3m.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
My MH is 3.0m high but the Oyster 85cm dish can be seen above the roof line, so whilst I have never measured the overall height, my sanef toll tag has only ever been charged at Class 2.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have a Megasat Pro same as a Snipe Pro Max on top of our 2.89 mtr van according to the builders spec but we always go through as class 2 the builders spec is for a empty van 2 people and a holiday load bring the height down considerably.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would have thought that the Snipe 2 system is a fairly low profile. I will check, it is 192 mm folded Either way it is a relatively lightweight unit 11 kgs which I was proposing to hoick it up thro my Heiki rooflight or just set it on a wee table alongside the appropriate side to get a clean aim at the satellite. As a system it seems very good but I have not field tested it down in Frances' nether parts !

My van roof configuration allowed me to roof mount (I was reluctant as it meant screwing it down as well as the sikaflex) the unit and stay below the 3M height, which as you say is the penal target.

Because the snipe is a flat unit and not the almighty carbuncle that some are, I would hope that you may get away with it, unless some jobsworth was going to measure you ?? !! While he is putting the ladders up, nip round and deflate your tyres :whistle: !!
If it fits onto a baseplate with a decent surface area, or if a baseplate can be cut from heavy plastic to fit, there is no need to screw it down. Much heavier items are regularly fitted with Sikaflex as the only attachment. Solar panels and Oyster sat. dishes spring to mind.

OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp

Thanks for the response. I think I was just unlucky with the motorway toll. I think there is a radar at 3m that you trigger. As I said, because my son was travelling with me I was instantly aware how much more I paid in comparison to what he had been charged. Been on the odd motorway the previous year and never felt stung by the toll. The consensus on here seems to be that they do not charge for add ons that take you over the 3m. limit, so press the intercom and get charged class2.
The satellite unit would be fitted by the dealer, so I will find out exactly what make and model is. However it is quite compact, so will definately be limited range. I have a free standing dish but it is a sub 6m motorhome and storage is obviously limited.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
no need to screw it down

Yes Tony, the reason I also screwed mine down was because of the roof construction, a sheet of painted zinc over the ply/insulation/ply sandwich. the zinc is not particularly well glued/fixed down.
The sikaflex undoubtedly would adhere it to the zinc but not necessarily to the roof, hence the need for screws. I had nightmares about the unit ripping/rolling the zinc backwards like a sardine can.
Did the same with my solar panel but there I bolted the bitch down. All holes well sikaflexed/sealed and should never leak ;)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My understanding is that the 3m height limit for Classe 2 applies to the MoHo roof, and things that project above the roof such as vents and solar panels should be disregarded.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If the automatic pay station is asking for class 3 when you are class 2 just press the button that lets you speak to someone and explain you are class 2 if you can't speak french just say Camping car, works every time for us.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I guess that's a bit difficult as you sail through the auto pay gate with your Sanef tag (or similar) :)

You would think so but the Sanef Tag only works on class 1, 2 & 5 vehicles. You cannot be charged Class 3 - this would mean opening an account with Eurotoll.

The height measurement is automatic and uses (frickin) lasers and 3D imaging and can distinguish between 'Class 2 + roofload' and 'Class 3' vehicles.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Just read the link and if you are also over 3.5t that is class3.(n)

There is no weighbridge at the tolls. It's up to the individual to work out if they should buy a Sanef (< 3.5 tonne) tag or a Eurotoll (>3.5 tonne) tag.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I lost more than I won at the tolls last year when saying I was a camping car class 2.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Hi
I thought I would tap into the wealth of knowledge available so here goes.
I usually avoid French motorways, but had to use them a couple of times last year. On reaching the peage I had been charged a class rate that implied I was a vehicle over three metres high and it was very expensive. The van itself was not over 3m but the aerial on the roof had taken it over.
Shortly getting another van which is 2.9m high and I would like to put a satellite of some description on the roof.
Does anyone know of a worthwhile folding satellite system that would add less than 100mm to the roof height?
I presume the answer will be no. I will use it further down that mid France so in any case I suppose it would have to be a sizeable dish so I will either have to avoid the motorways or get a tripod mounted dish.
Does anyone use a dish mounted on the roof with flat cable through the window or roof light and how effective is this.
I can live without the satellite, but I am happy to have it installed if it does not cause too many issues that outweigh the benefits.
Any advice greatfully received!

If you are still looking for satellite options then you are definitely going to struggle to have any system installed that is under 100mm..

We regularly install the Oyster Cytrac systems. This the lowest profile system we recommend and is only 14cm in it closed position. This is also an equivalent to a 70/75cm dish so generally France reception would not be a problem. You will struggle in the south of France as you do with most systems when using FTA but using a sky box will massively improve your channels available across Europe.

This system also is fantastic in mostly all weather conditions being incredibly robust due to its design.

Just to add it also needs a minimum turning circle on the roof when searching for the required satellite, so leaves options open to other possible items to be installed on the roof like solar and air-con if you decide down this route and also or if you downsized in the future and don't have much roof space?

OP
OP
Steely Daniel

Steely Daniel

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 590
Exp
Thank you for the useful advice. I think I have got too focussed on the satellite unit dimensions. The consensus on here seems to be that a motorhome under 3m tall would pay classe 2, regardless of the paraphernalia on the roof.
Your suggestion to use a sky box is interesting. Is the benefit of this the tuner(?) in the box that gives you access to a different satellite?
Presumably the skybox without a subscription would still give you access to free to air channels that a non sky box would not?
If you are still looking for satellite options then you are definitely going to struggle to have any system installed that is under 100mm..

We regularly install the Oyster Cytrac systems. This the lowest profile system we recommend and is only 14cm in it closed position. This is also an equivalent to a 70/75cm dish so generally France reception would not be a problem. You will struggle in the south of France as you do with most systems when using FTA but using a sky box will massively improve your channels available across Europe.

This system also is fantastic in mostly all weather conditions being incredibly robust due to its design.

Just to add it also needs a minimum turning circle on the roof when searching for the required satellite, so leaves options open to other possible items to be installed on the roof like solar and air-con if you decide down this route and also or if you downsized in the future and don't have much roof space?
ou for the

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Thank you for the useful advice. I think I have got too focussed on the satellite unit dimensions. The consensus on here seems to be that a motorhome under 3m tall would pay classe 2, regardless of the paraphernalia on the roof.
Your suggestion to use a sky box is interesting. Is the benefit of this the tuner(?) in the box that gives you access to a different satellite?
Presumably the skybox without a subscription would still give you access to free to air channels that a non sky box would not?

ou for the[/QUOTE

Agreed. It definitely is a system to consider anyway being our biggest seller now.

With regards to the Sky box. You still will only be searching for the Astra 2 satellite but you will need to be a Sky subscriber and have the sky HD channels on your package option as these are the channels you will receive further afield across Europe. If you are not a sky customer and intend to have simply a sky box with a card then you wont receive the HD channels so the foot print available to you will only be the same a using a Free View sat decoder (FTA box)

The Cytrac as with other satellite systems gives you option to look at other available satellite but you will need a FTA receiver box to view the available channels on these additional satellites. A Sky box is designed for the Uk customer and to look at our Astra 2 satellite only.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003

ou for the

Agreed. It definitely is a system to consider anyway being our biggest seller now.

With regards to the Sky box. You still will only be searching for the Astra 2 satellite but you will need to be a Sky subscriber and have the sky HD channels on your package option as these are the channels you will receive further afield across Europe. If you are not a sky customer and intend to have simply a sky box with a card then you wont receive the HD channels so the foot print available to you will only be the same a using a Free View sat decoder (FTA box)

The Cytrac as with other satellite systems gives you option to look at other available satellite but you will need a FTA receiver box to view the available channels on these additional satellites. A Sky box is designed for the Uk customer and to look at our Astra 2 satellite only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back