Satellite dome blown off

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Emmenay, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

What length of time could I have reasonably expected the dome to have lived on the van roof, professionally fitted of coarse?
    Any thoughts...(and yes there is a lot more to this one:cry:)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Interesting question. Was it screwed, glued or both?

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I would have though indefinitely !! Poor quality glue and workmanship hurtle to mind !:Blush::Blush::Blush:

4. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

I would think it reasonable to expect the dome to remain in situ until such time as vehicle owner decided to remove the thing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Emmenay

It looks to me like there was a smallish amount of glue on each of the four feet (about ten percent of possible gluing surfce) that were also screwed with one screw on each. The one screw I have recovered looks too small for the job!

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

How long ago was it done? If within 12 months I would expect the installer/dealer to make recompense.
    If any hassle go to Trading Standards.

7. laneside

laneside Funster

They are almost impossible to take off let alone fall/blow off, that is assuming they are fitted correctly

8. Emmenay

The dome was fitted a short while before I bought the van as i have the receipt for work carried out. It was two years ago last week.
    At the moment I could be looking at a whole lot of sh!t because of it.:Blush:

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Anything could have happened in those two years. They take a bit of a hammering up there and the seals should be checked regularly. It could also have had a clout and been re-fixed before you took ownership; so I don't think you will have a claim against the dealer/fitter.

10. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Your 1st port of call would be to get someone qualified to confirm what you have said.
    Then tackle the person/company who installed the dome, are you sure they were qualified and or approved to do the job?
    They may have some form of liability insurance, which they may be able to claim on. If they don’t and they won’t pay, then you could consider Trading Standards, the Small Claims Court, or the Manufacturers of the dish, they may well wish to know the story behind it, if the installed was approved by them.

Otherwise, no doubt a legally qualified individual will possibly make a comment on here.

ShiftZZ (no legal qualification at all)

11. Emmenay

Couldn't agree more Jim, but, the previous owner had the dish fitted and promply sold the van (who knows why, hard times perhaps) to a dealer who I then bought it from. I am the only person to have put any miles on the van since.
    One thing I can be sure of though, it was fixed in place and all screws in place ten days ago as I was on a ladder cleaning the roof line and made a point of looking while I was there.
    At the moment I am not looking for anything out of the dealer because the initial outlay wasn't mine.
    My problem is what to do in the case of a possible law suit from the poor people on the AP7 near Catral! Sh!t rolls down hill as they say and usually gathers speed! (just like my dome) I know what you are saying though, its my word against anyone elses.

12. Emmenay

Luckily I have been back this morning and recovered the remains so I will hopefully fine someone in Costa Blanca who knows their beans.
    I have yet to contact the people who fitted it until I can be sure there is anything to contact them about.

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have to agree with Jim on this one.

it will be difficult to pin it on anyone.

Is it possible that someone tried to steal it and were disturbed before they could finish the job?

14. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Given that we sell quite a lot of replacement dome "lids" where people have clouted them on trees, signs bird strikes etc it does present a problem.

We have had people booked in for a "satellite check" as the system "doesn't work" only for Dave our workshop manager to come into the office and tell us that the dome has gone! And in one instance vanished along with the cover for the Air conditioning and the Alden Phenix self seeking solar panel system:Eeek: (the insurance claim for that one was circa £7,000 :BigGrin:)

Given how many replacement lids we supply we know that people clout things. It could be that a tiny twig gets pulled under the dome/dish/Air Con/Solar panel when you reverse onto a pitch, only to pull a longer thicker branch (like a cheese wire) under the item as you pull out in a different direction. That may not cause the problem straight away, but allow for a little water ingress, then frost to further expand the problem.

The residue of the adhesive should mirror the footprint of the feet, and should be even and consistent.

It would be very hard to prove that you didn't clout it or have something jammed underneath that has weakened the bond.

We have also had three cases where domes have been stolen, and had it not been for the fact that in these cases the van hadn't been moved (on on a site, one outside a house and one in a compound) the owners could have been left thinking that the dome had "fallen off"

So long as you notified your insurers that you had had the dome installed you cam claim on your insurance policy.

Sorry to hear of you loss though:Sad: If you would like we often take off WiWorld domes to install KVH and the if you want to PM me your details I can put you in touch with anyone selling a 2nd hand unit :Smile:

Regards

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  15. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Guys.

But what if it was installed bady?

They walk away ?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Emmenay

Eddie thank you for your post it does make sense, however, I have just been to take pictures of the roof where the the dome was because I find it a little strange that there is not one scrap, not one morsal of silicone or whatever on the feet of the dome.
    What I found on the roof was quite a shock though, two of the feet have been just about positioned on a joint in the roof, therefore not sitting flat. The silcone under these two feet has not even ben flattened, there has never been any contact at these points. The other two have contacted but I would not have been happy with the amount used, as you say, water ingress and freezing are not good, and there was plenty of room for water with the sheer lack of glue!
    Thanks for the offer but I am not sure what I want to do yet. To be honest I think I am just in shock and looking for answers. The outcome wasn't the best but could have been far far worse.
    Eddie, would you be able to have a look at the photo I have just taken to see what I am saying?

17. eddievanbitz

Nope not suggesting that. But: If it has been OK for two years, what happened recently? Also, the OP is a third party, so where does the contract lie? Is it under warranty with the supplying dealer still?

Often dealers will exclude any accessories that were "retro" fitted as they have no idea of the provenance. OK so they could check it, but the OP did that a few days ago when he washed the roof. So should they take accessories off, bin them and then try sell the purchaser a replacement? That would also elicit cries of foul and poor practice!

To sue you would have to prove poor workmanship which would be near impossible, as you would have to be able to prove that you, the dealer or the original owner never clumped it on anything, and even if you could who would you sue?

I take your point but some windmills you just can't tilt at!

Eddie

18. Emmenay

That just about sums it for me, being a Health and Safety man I tend to look at the evidence and follow up accordingly.

19. eddievanbitz

Happily. Either post it here or email me at eddie@vanbitz.com

Eddie

20. Emmenay

Thanks Eddie, email sent.