Satellite Broadband Providers

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Jim, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Wherever we are, we need an internet connection for both my business and Katie's schooling and as good as 3g and 4g are; some of the nicest places in Europe are internet black/slow spots so we have decided to have Satellite Internet installed to cover those few times a year that we have no 3g or wifi.

After much research we've settled on the hardware and gone with an Oyster System. But I've yet to choose the broadband provider. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I've been considering this option as well. I notice the one you link to says it is internet and hdtv but I presume not both at the same time as the sats would be different.. I guess...

I've not got the experience of providers you are looking for but there are some on uswitch

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

4. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

We are having the oyster system fitted to our new rapido , I intend to also have a mifi booster as well , wifey wants to work whilst I drive , as far as network providers go, I googled them and they all appear to charge similar prices , I've got a buddy who uses the system ,I'll ask him for recommended suppliers

• Like Like x 1
  5. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Been down this route and selected Oyster too, for the powered LNB skew. Oyster used to come with the modem already linked to the ISP iCopter but that is no longer the case. I chose satalite internet, as per Tonka's post. The key reason being that you get a UK IP address so using any TV or regional tied streaming from the UK is no issue, no need for a VPN! I am currently at La BellaVista (Manilva) which in theory is outside (just) the footprint for SAT internet reception, but I get a good service here. To be fair I have not used any TV streaming so cannot comment on the ability at this range. We do however stream Radio 4 at various time of the day, I use it when the site WiFi gets overloaded, usually weekend when the Spanish families arrive.
    It was easy to set up and I actually use a WAN switch to select the SAT or WiFi AP into the WAN port of my router.

Sometimes need to reboot the van router when switching from once source to the other, sometime not, but it does give me flexibility.
    Overall a good choice, mine was installed as a factory option and I did all the router, AP and other connectivity, I think I would use a UK Oyster installer if doing it again because of the support issues, it is a more complicated system than the old Telco I had on the Country Coach which was very easy, however I am getting there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sallylillian

This link got lost?

7. sallylillian

So I posted a link to the Amazon page for the switch but FUN server decided to delete it?? Here is the description
    RJ45 8P8C Network/Telephone AB 2 way 8P8C Manual Sharing Switch Box
    [​IMG]

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Will the iboost router work with the Oyster?

9. sallylillian

I would suspect so, I am unfamiliar with it but suppose it is just an ordinary router in principle. They use a similar Ubiquitie AP that I use and the cable that comes from that to their router is the one you put into one side of the switch I posted, or simply unplug and plug in the Oyster modem cable to their router. If you are unsure it might be a good idea to speak with them, I have read that they are helpful and this question cannot be the first time for them?

10. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

@Jim we bought into Tooway. The speed was very intermittent and as soon as you used your monthly data allowance you were throttled down to close to zero. My son came home and used the data allowance for the month in a single day.!
    So kicked it into touch, very expensive and very disappointed!

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've seen some awful reviews of Tooway