Satellight choice (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
That's it I have had enough I have trolled the net till my head hurts and my eyes bleed
This issue with sky if we can't get any signal below mid France its a waste of money getting a dogs bollox auto system so choice is made save the cash
Stick to my dish on a stick
And maybe extend morocco from 3 to 4 months
I would do a poll but I don't know how to and besides it would only turn into a poo thing

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Satellite choice

Completely agree; when we bought this van the previous owner had already had an expensive Oyster 85 system fitted and when we set off for Morocco via France and Spain last year we fully expected to get signals at least as far as southern Spain. Then we found we couldn't, and on speaking to some of the regulars on a site near Marbella, (all of whom had huge, stand-alone dishes) everyone said you either get a big dish - impossible for a motorhome - or put up with it. W put up with it and now take our hard drive with hundreds of films on it for when we are out of range.

I'm guessing home is West Yorks? Before. Moved down to Cornwall we lived at Shaŵ Cross just south from Tingley and as a kid, we used to pinch the roobub from the fields up where the Old White Bear pub once was.

Cheers and happy travels, Gary ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You got it in one I was brought up in the long row terraces at side of old white bear all gone now m62 is over top of it
And rhubarb fields have all gone
We live down near Ardsley res now looking on to egg wood

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That's it I have had enough I have trolled the net till my head hurts and my eyes bleed
This issue with sky if we can't get any signal below mid France its a waste of money getting a dogs bollox auto system so choice is made save the cash
Stick to my dish on a stick
And maybe extend morocco from 3 to 4 months
I would do a poll but I don't know how to and besides it would only turn into a poo thing

We picked up tv in southern Portugal but you have to change the frequency . Not sure if you still will when and if they change satellite . I have read about it on here but nothing said on French forums re changes and I thought that there would be as lots make their money here selling boxes and dishes for us folks living abroad .This is the place to look

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/sky_freesat_frequency_settings_spain.php

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, we live in Spain and can get 85% for the channels across Spain on the dish ( Moblisat 80cm dish). Just spent the last 9 weeks in the UK and got 100% channels and right now sitting near Hanover in Germany 90% channels. I think it depends on what box your using to decode channels. I have a Dreambox 800HD, which allows me to scan for all of sky UK channels. Right now watching Fox HD channel.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You have to change the Default Transponder frequency on a Sky box to help the Sky box download the channel list.

Normally a Sky box looks at frequency 11778 for the channel list - that frequency also carries the full 7 day Sky Guide.

But if you are in an area where 11778 is unavailable (it is currently on a "north beam" where in some areas of Spain you need a 2.4m dish to receive it 24/7!) , or your dish is too small to receive 11778, your Sky box will not work, as it cannot download the channel list. So you can use a number of other frequencies, as all frequencies carry a limited amount of Sky data, enough to "get the box going".

(SD boxes: Service 4 0 1 select 2 change freq, save, Sky button, wait, date and time and channel 998 epg data appear even tho channel 998 itself may not appear, channels will be there)

Changing the frequency DOES nothing for individual channel reception. So if you are in an area where your dish is too small to receive a channel, changing the default frequency will not help. For example, some of the Sky Movie channels are on the "north beam", which in some areas of Spain you need a "big dish" to receive the frequency the channels are on. If you cannot receive the Sky Movies frequency, changing the default transponder will not help, as the Sky Movies are only on that one "unrecievable" frequency.

So once the Sky box has its channel list downloaded, the manually input default transponder frequency will be ignored, and the box will use whichever frequency it needs to for the channel you have selected to watch.

You should always get be able to receive some UK TV channels, as some of these channels are on a "European" beam and are an easy catch in most of Europe. However, the main UK TV channels, are located on a UK beam (or will be when 2E is operational in September), whose reception is harder to receive that the Euro beams.

EG BBC ITV C4s are on the "UK beam", and may be tricky to get, but channel list Sky One Dave are on the "south beam" and should be OK to receive.

So yes, you will be able to get UK TV channels south of France, Spain, morocco, etc but maybe not the channels you want.

Re French Forums I watch: Many people are simply waiting for 2E to be operational, before spending money on a new dish - why buy a new dish now when it may be too small for 2E reception...?
Reception of 2E will be unknown until it is operational.
And reception of 2E may differ to 2F.

You only have to look at the Barcelona area, where 2F reception is poor due to a signal "blackspot" and where C4HD, 4Seven, some ITV1 regions, and C5s now need at least a 1.8m dish, where as prior they could use a smaller 80cm dish Yet closer to Valencia, down to Alicante we have seen no or little change in reception of these channels, and can still receive them on an 80cm-1m dish...yes, the north east of Spain is Worse off even though it is closer to the UK than the Valencia area!. Then towards the CDS/ Gibraltar, Portugal reception of 2F gets worse again...where according to reports a 3m dish is required for 2F reception.

And since Sky have started to implement some more encryption to their channels, some "non sky" receivers are no longer opening Sky Sports, Sky Movies and some HD channels when you insert your sky card into them...(no issues when the card is used in its "paired" sky box tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Nice expiation sat guy
I think a wait and see policy for now I am not shelling out big bucks just for sake of a few months waiting
You never know it may not be as bad as predicted and it could end being worse
Thanks though

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You have to change the Default Transponder frequency on a Sky box to help the Sky box download the channel list.

Normally a Sky box looks at frequency 11778 for the channel list - that frequency also carries the full 7 day Sky Guide.

But if you are in an area where 11778 is unavailable (it is currently on a "north beam" where in some areas of Spain you need a 2.4m dish to receive it 24/7!) , or your dish is too small to receive 11778, your Sky box will not work, as it cannot download the channel list. So you can use a number of other frequencies, as all frequencies carry a limited amount of Sky data, enough to "get the box going".

(SD boxes: Service 4 0 1 select 2 change freq, save, Sky button, wait, date and time and channel 998 epg data appear even tho channel 998 itself may not appear, channels will be there)

Changing the frequency DOES nothing for individual channel reception. So if you are in an area where your dish is too small to receive a channel, changing the default frequency will not help. For example, some of the Sky Movie channels are on the "north beam", which in some areas of Spain you need a "big dish" to receive the frequency the channels are on. If you cannot receive the Sky Movies frequency, changing the default transponder will not help, as the Sky Movies are only on that one "unrecievable" frequency.

So once the Sky box has its channel list downloaded, the manually input default transponder frequency will be ignored, and the box will use whichever frequency it needs to for the channel you have selected to watch.

You should always get be able to receive some UK TV channels, as some of these channels are on a "European" beam and are an easy catch in most of Europe. However, the main UK TV channels, are located on a UK beam (or will be when 2E is operational in September), whose reception is harder to receive that the Euro beams.

EG BBC ITV C4s are on the "UK beam", and may be tricky to get, but channel list Sky One Dave are on the "south beam" and should be OK to receive.

So yes, you will be able to get UK TV channels south of France, Spain, morocco, etc but maybe not the channels you want.

Re French Forums I watch: Many people are simply waiting for 2E to be operational, before spending money on a new dish - why buy a new dish now when it may be too small for 2E reception...?
Reception of 2E will be unknown until it is operational.
And reception of 2E may differ to 2F.

You only have to look at the Barcelona area, where 2F reception is poor due to a signal "blackspot" and where C4HD, 4Seven, some ITV1 regions, and C5s now need at least a 1.8m dish, where as prior they could use a smaller 80cm dish Yet closer to Valencia, down to Alicante we have seen no or little change in reception of these channels, and can still receive them on an 80cm-1m dish...yes, the north east of Spain is Worse off even though it is closer to the UK than the Valencia area!. Then towards the CDS/ Gibraltar, Portugal reception of 2F gets worse again...where according to reports a 3m dish is required for 2F reception.

And since Sky have started to implement some more encryption to their channels, some "non sky" receivers are no longer opening Sky Sports, Sky Movies and some HD channels when you insert your sky card into them...(no issues when the card is used in its "paired" sky box tho.

Yeh thanks for a great explanation :) we just followed your instructions from the Internet when in Portugal and certainly got enough channels to pass the rainy days !! Just hope we don't lose too much here in Frogland . I just do not understand the reasoning behind stopping the world watching UK tv. All the other European countries can watch their home country tv. You would think they would want the world to be influenced by the UK after all they do have BBC World.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I just do not understand the reasoning behind stopping the world watching UK tv. All the other European countries can watch their home country tv.

Note that only the main UK TV and German TV is available for free on satellite. All other countries main channels are encrypted, and require subscription to view. So you could say that the UK is better as it offers true "free" TV via satellite...

However,to limit choice outside intended areas, the channels either go on "country specific beams" or available via cards available only in those specific countries.

The UK main channels have decided to go encryption free, saves having to pay NDS for the encryption, so they limit their availability via country specific beams.

Yet a lot of UK channels on subscription are available across Europe...

So if the main UK TV channels could limit their channels availability via cards rather than being free to air then they would probably be more available around Europe - for example C5 before they went free to air were easy to receive around Europe, and the encrypted ITVs on the astra 2 south beam that require a sky card before they went free....

And more people speak English in Europe, so to satisfy right contracts, and for those rights holder to make more money out of country specific exclusivity deals, they will prefer those UK rights to be limited to the UK.

The idea for German channels to be available, are that no many people speak german, and that some of those german channels actually pay for pan euopean rights, as long as the programmes are in german and not in their "original English" language.

But BBC Worldwide do operate a subscription TV service for expats (and a expat Iplayer), and that feeds back into the BBC revenue - but with limited programming.

I think the DM would have a field day if UK taxpayers were paying for the BBC to buy Pan European rights to cover countries that do not feed into the UK Tax system via the license fee.

Essentially, it is all down to the rights holders wanting to maximise revenue, and broadcasters not wanting to spend more than they want to.

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Satellite

Hi

We have had three different systems - an Oyster, a Camos and a Kathrein CAP 900. I recently Link Broken and their reception reports AT THAT TIME - so like you, I await with interest what happens from September.

I would hold off buying anything at present until lots of reception reports start to come through from September.

Russell

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
i dont know what the fuss is about lot of dosh for sat set up . we have been watching uk tv worldwide for the past 2 years on tinterweb thingy . filmon.com . :active: stan :Cool:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
i dont know what the fuss is about lot of dosh for sat set up . we have been watching uk tv worldwide for the past 2 years on tinterweb thingy . filmon.com . :active: stan :Cool:

In the last few weeks filmon have removed USA channels from the main US broadcasters who filed law suits against filmon for copyright breaches. If the UK broadcasters follow suit, then the UK channels could also be removed in the near future.

But then I am sure that they will be available elsewhere on the tinkernet....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back