Sat' TV mast location

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

Anyone using your 'Fiamma Bike rack Pro' or what ever as a mounting for the Sat' dish instead of a Tripod?

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

mounting a sat dish on a bike rack would make it very limited with regard to aligning with the satellite. the back of the van in effect would need aiming towards the satellite and then finely adjusted in. roof mounted dishes can rotate through 360 degrees and tripods can be moved to avoid trees and other obstructions

so no. mounting direct to the bike rack is not viable

3. mentaliss

mentaliss

Thanks for your view, but perhaps I'm not being clear? Why can't the Sat mast be turned by loosing the clamp mounting to the bike rack to whatever direction of the Sat', plus the dish would be two mtrs off the ground, isn't there a system like this for caravan's where the mast is attached to the caravan 'A' frame? doesn't involve moving the vehicle at all..surely thats the same as having a roof mount without the cost:Smile:

4. jezport

jezport Funster

We have a suction cup mount that just sticks on the van.

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

6. cronkle

cronkle Funster

I have seen small dome systems on some foreign vans that have been mounted on top of a pole that has been secured to their ladder. They were permanent fittings. Because it was to a ladder there was more to attach to in order to avoid the mast flexing at speed. With my rack it would have to be mounted quite low down creating a lot of leverage whipping around like a fishing rod with the possibility of the rack mountings being ripped out.

I've thought about the possibility for using a dish on a telescopic pole. The problem I see is adjusting the elevation when it is up high enough to see over the van.

I would be interested in any solutions to the problem.