mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Anyone using your 'Fiamma Bike rack Pro' or what ever as a mounting for the Sat' dish instead of a Tripod?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mounting a sat dish on a bike rack would make it very limited with regard to aligning with the satellite. the back of the van in effect would need aiming towards the satellite and then finely adjusted in. roof mounted dishes can rotate through 360 degrees and tripods can be moved to avoid trees and other obstructions

so no. mounting direct to the bike rack is not viable

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
mounting a sat dish on a bike rack would make it very limited with regard to aligning with the satellite. the back of the van in effect would need aiming towards the satellite and then finely adjusted in. roof mounted dishes can rotate through 360 degrees and tripods can be moved to avoid trees and other obstructions

so no. mounting direct to the bike rack is not viable

Thanks for your view, but perhaps I'm not being clear? Why can't the Sat mast be turned by loosing the clamp mounting to the bike rack to whatever direction of the Sat', plus the dish would be two mtrs off the ground, isn't there a system like this for caravan's where the mast is attached to the caravan 'A' frame? doesn't involve moving the vehicle at all..surely thats the same as having a roof mount without the cost:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've used these on two motorhomes over the last 10 years. No screws & no suckers (handy on stippled finishes). The clamps you can see are removed along with the mast (they simply un-clip) leaving two fairly flat mountings stuck to the van.

Broken Link Removed

But your system clamped to the cycle rack would work just as well. :Smile:

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I have seen small dome systems on some foreign vans that have been mounted on top of a pole that has been secured to their ladder. They were permanent fittings. Because it was to a ladder there was more to attach to in order to avoid the mast flexing at speed. With my rack it would have to be mounted quite low down creating a lot of leverage whipping around like a fishing rod with the possibility of the rack mountings being ripped out.

I've thought about the possibility for using a dish on a telescopic pole. The problem I see is adjusting the elevation when it is up high enough to see over the van.

I would be interested in any solutions to the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back