Sat. TV co-axial wiring

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by DESCO, May 14, 2012.

1. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Just getting round to fitting Sat. tv in other rooms, have the old co-axial from analogue fitted, as the new cable is thinner and has screw on terminations will I have to replace all wiring or can it be mixed, as it will save a lot of work.

Thanks in advance

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

There is bound to be technical reasons why you can't or should'nt but In my Rv i have both types, each doing what it should'nt and all works well :Doh:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

proper sat cable should have a centre conductor, a braided sleeve and a foil shield along with a hollow centre.

this keeps the high frequency (1GHz) sat signal inside the cable.

normal tv cable doesn't usually have the foil shield, or if it has it wont have the braided wire, and will allow the signal to 'leak' out along the cable length resulting in a poorer signal.

both will do the job but at different degrees of efficiency

a bit like putting gravy in a sieve.....you'll still have some gravy when you get it to the table but a lot will be on the floor.

Co-ax explained

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

unclip the old coax and firmly tape the new shielded coax to the end. then as you pull out the old cable, the new one will be pulled into its place. terminate with either screw on F connectors or if you have the tools a higher quality compression F plug

5. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

I like PJ explanation, it's deffinitely at my level:BigGrin:

Funnily enough I've just completed the sat set up in Winne, bit ott but moving forward it will have it's benifits:BigGrin:

We wanted a recordable freesat setup, 12 volt though, so twin LNB required and better dish, we were using a sat in a box now and again, but I wanted a tidy install and connection. So, I needed to pull in a twin sat cable and have a plug in point outside, and all quick an easy. I did think of using the old plug in point/wire as a draw wire but not practical so all new, and very quick and easy in the end, the hardest part, well not really, just getting a bit old for it, was the crawling along under Winne cable tieing the cable to the chassis and routing into a locker.

Good tidy result, permanent and as said quick to get up and running:Eeek:

6. tofo

tofo Funster

got mine off ebay 50mtrs and 8 connecto bits connectors
    came out £ 16.quidish

Item #: 190411792735

Last edited: May 14, 2012