sat navs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Beard, Aug 25, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Funster

Has anybody any expierience of these
    Garmin Camper 760LMT-D 7 inch Satellite Navigation for Caravans and Motorhomes.

2. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Please dont Swear :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. iandsm

iandsm Funster

No, but I have the 3598LMT. which I find does everything (and much more) than my old tom-tom 1005 did and in a better manner. I did consider the caravan and motorhome model but decided against it because it would take us on routes which avoid small towns and out of the way places which we may very well want to see and would probably always keep on truckers routes which would mean missing many aires. We have found many very nice villages and towns, particularly in France which are not listed in any of the popular aires books, so much so that we call the most popular one, "Some of the aires in France" instead of its real title.

I think there are probably two things you can do to make life easier whatever sat nav you have.

1. After you set a route on the sat nav, look at a map to see where its going to take you, there may well be routes you might prefer so you can change settings before you move off. (Easy on the Garmin as it can suggest up to three routes anyway) Or use the map first and then input the places you want to go via to get to your final destination.

2. Don't follow sat nav instructions without looking at the road its taking you on first, if you don't like the look of the road, for example, if it looks a little narrow or like it could be shortcut, ignore the sat nav and just keep going, it will re plan pretty fast and you can then decide if you like the look of the next suggested turning.

We only replaced our Tom-tom with the Garmin in January so we haven't had it long, we used it on a trip of just over 3000 miles through Belgium, Holland, Germany and France earlier this year and it (or we) got it wrong just twice. Otherwise it was faultless and very reliable.

Although we didn't go for the caravan/motorhome version I supposes you could always set it up as if you were a car if you wanted to be on other than truck routes but I expect the price differential might be the deciding factor.

Whatever you decide just remember you are in charge, the sat nav is just a tool and you can accept it's instructions, or should I say suggestions, as you wish and as there will probably be no particular rush on your journey you can always pull over and have are think about your route/destination. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Got a 7' 'Shanghai special' for £50 last year. Best thing I have ever bought. Does much more then even my £300 TomTom Rider. (y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

The sexual practices of the Chinese and America's original inhabitants has no place in a debate on Sat Navs!;)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Very Quick. I usually see those and avoid posting them!! :rofl: It means that you can then pick others out, and have no fear of retribution......:)(y)

7. flyboyprowler

flyboyprowler Read Only Funster

I have the Snooper 700, it came with the van but I am considering changing for the Garmin. The Garmin appears much more user friendly, whereas the Snooper has to be reprogrammed {with no tolls} ever time it is switched off, has pants speed limits, and has bad battery life. Also the Garmin comes with free updates, whereas my snooper costs I believe £ 170 to get free updates. The camperstop base is good on the Snooper, and don't know if the Garmin has all the sites.

8. adriacoral

adriacoral Read Only Funster

We just bought and used Garmin in France Germany Austria Slovenia,Croatia and Italy, but don't find it as good as a tomtom, especially with coordinates.don't find it as straightforward, sorry!

9. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I hate my old Tomtom.

Did you know that here in Portugal it only accepts the first 4 digits of a post code? So it is impossible to navigate to anywhere with an accuracy of more that about 20 miles!!!!!! It stinks. Total crap!

10. Movinon

Movinon Funster

11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

But I also said, "I suppose you could always set it up as if you were a car if you wanted to be on other than truck routes" So what you have with the Garmin camper is an ordinary sat nav that behaves just as any other but into which you can input size of vehicle etc if you wish, in which case it will warn you about restrictions.

Since I posted yesterday, I notice that the camper version can be bought for not a lot more than the ordinary ones.

12. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Am I wrong in thinking that the Snooper variants and the expensive Falcon satnav (which I have one of, bought at a show on impulse) are actually the same basic model as the Chinese cheapies but with better/different programming? If so, they really are overpriced!

13. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I had look at a sat nav being offered by one of the major clubs (C&CC I think) at Malvern. The software they were using in the unit was IGO Primo the same as used by the Chinese sat navs. I had a quick play and it seemed to be the same but I suspect that they have had some changes to include poi's for their campsites.

The major difference of course was the hardware being used which was far superior to the chinese ones. But whether it is worth the £399 they were asking against £65 for the ebay one is debatable to say the least.

I can only say I am extremely happy with my chinese version and would never consider paying for the expensive one.

John

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Can someone who uses these Chinese units tell me if the software gives inner city congestion charge warnings?
    I'd just like to stop my daughter supporting Boris with her hard earned!

15. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I have just tried to route to High Holborn in the City of London from Bristol. The route summary told me that there was 2.5 mile section of toll road starting at the end of the A4 from 7:00 to 18:00 mon to fri which I assume is the congestion zone. If it is then the answer to your question is that it shows a toll charge on the routing summary but it dos not flash a warning.

16. DiddyDoddy

DiddyDoddy Read Only Funster

AA route planner better than any sat nav used it for years and costs you nothing.

17. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

Can someone point me to the cheapie Chinese satnavs please?

I've had a look on eBay and there are numerous choices. I'd like to know which ones are the ones to go for.

Cheers

18. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have a 7" camper snooper and love it, and if I am using in the car and am parked up for a while I can watch TV as well.

19. lunarman

lunarman Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Hi lunarman my sat nav has packed up and going to France in sept is just plug in and go or do you have down load and set all setting not to good on the computer !