LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I use my android phone and Google navigation ..
It works fine . I have used it in europe and the usa with no problems..
One nice touch us you can plan a route with all the waypoints etc on your pc or laptop at your leisure.. save it and then open my maps on your phone to access all of your saved info.. effortless..
Streetview is nice too :thumb:

Is there a cost to this approach. Do you end up paying large data roaming charges out of the country?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ipad

Firstly, can I have your old one for me Dad. He shouldn't really be out for more than 20 mins at a time on his own :ROFLMAO:

In the van, we use the iPad. In the 10 months we've had the van we've found it gets you there no bother, great big screen we both can see, and it talks too.

I'm sure there are far more advanced systems out there but this has served us well, and for nowt cos we already had iPad :Smile:

Good luck

Andy

How do you hold it on the dash, do you have some sort of mount for it?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
This is the one i got just over year ago
Link Removed
hope that's of help

Hello Hat, I wonder if you can help?
As I said in previous post I have bought one of these. It's quite surprising the range of facilities it has in addition to GPS! However the manual that comes with it is pretty poor :Eeek: I'm working it all out bit by bit but am trying to update the maps. I have them downloaded and 'unzipped' on the PC so is it a matter of just overwriting the files in the MAPS folder with the new ones?

Reluctant to experiment just before going away. :shout:

Wyn

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
TomTom

We are on our second Tomtom find the graphics and reliability great - only on second one as the first one was dropped from a great height! our fault. We have used Garmins and found them useless in comparison.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
Hello Hat, I wonder if you can help?
As I said in previous post I have bought one of these. It's quite surprising the range of facilities it has in addition to GPS! However the manual that comes with it is pretty poor :Eeek: I'm working it all out bit by bit but am trying to update the maps. I have them downloaded and 'unzipped' on the PC so is it a matter of just overwriting the files in the MAPS folder with the new ones?

Reluctant to experiment just before going away. :shout:

Wyn

sorry to say I'm still using the maps that come the sat nav for uk
just downloaded the french one's not put them on sat nav yet as have lost the lead to link to puter:Eeek: hopefully will buy:cry: a new lead this weekend

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Bought one of those sat navs from China on e-bay. It's been driving us mad on this journey from UK via Holland, Belgium, France Italy and now Greece. It keeps bombing out and giving a 'fatal error' message and when it does work it doesn't recognise that we have selected the option to say we are a truck and has sent us up some very dodgy roads - one of them actually had a sign saying not suitable for trucks/vans etc. We are now relying on the paper map book. Fortunately my husband has a brilliant sense of direction, and as we are in Greece now we know the country quite well so the satnav has been relegated to the cupboard.
Not worth the money or the hastle it causes.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
sorry to say I'm still using the maps that come the sat nav for uk
just downloaded the french one's not put them on sat nav yet as have lost the lead to link to puter:Eeek: hopefully will buy:cry: a new lead this weekend

Oh dear, shame about the lead. I managed to find an email address for the company (they don't display it very prominently) and mentioned the poor instruction manual that came with the unit (presumably a translation from Chinese and very simplistic) and they emailed me a 92 page fully detailed (real English) manual.:thumb:

Is yours IGO8 based? If so I could forward you a copy if you'd find it useful.

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear, shame about the lead. I managed to find an email address for the company (they don't display it very prominently) and mentioned the poor instruction manual that came with the unit (presumably a translation from Chinese and very simplistic) and they emailed me a 92 page fully detailed (real English) manual.:thumb:

Is yours IGO8 based? If so I could forward you a copy if you'd find it useful.

Wyn

I've also got the IGO9 manual now (which mine is)

Wyn

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
hi do you find the volume not enough hear it in the van on the snooper. like you we had garmin first and very happy with it. cheers ivory55

use an active external speaker connected to the earphones out...you will find you'll be turning down the volume!!

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
How do you hold it on the dash, do you have some sort of mount for it?

We have the iPad cover which folds up in itself, like a toilerone, and it just stands on dash on passenger side.

It can be seen from driving seat but the commentary is good to.

Saving up now for a posh stereo with input,

Happy travels

Andy

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
MAPPY ULTI X570 CAMP GPS for trucks and motorhomes (ULTIX570CAMP)

Any thoughts on these? 177 quid via Amazon third party seller. No review on Amazon.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bought one of those sat navs from China on e-bay. It's been driving us mad on this journey from UK via Holland, Belgium, France Italy and now Greece. It keeps bombing out and giving a 'fatal error' message and when it does work it doesn't recognise that we have selected the option to say we are a truck and has sent us up some very dodgy roads - one of them actually had a sign saying not suitable for trucks/vans etc. We are now relying on the paper map book. Fortunately my husband has a brilliant sense of direction, and as we are in Greece now we know the country quite well so the satnav has been relegated to the cupboard.
Not worth the money or the hastle it causes.

I tried one as well from Masaistore and had the same problem. They sent me a new micro sd but it was still rubbish. In the end I got my money back plus a begging letter "please don't leave negative reviews" to be fair they gave a full refund and paid the postage but it was crap, I suppose you get what you pay for. I'll stick with Garmin.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I use my android phone and Google navigation ..
It works fine . I have used it in europe and the usa with no problems..
One nice touch us you can plan a route with all the waypoints etc on your pc or laptop at your leisure.. save it and then open my maps on your phone to access all of your saved info.. effortless..
Streetview is nice too :thumb:

Me to, why spend hundreds when you already have sat/nav on your phone. :Cool:

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back