Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I'll be travelling round France in the summer and I'm looking at Sat Nav options.
I don't want to buy an expensive sat nav, coz I've got one of those in the car.

What do you think, Is it worth paying 37 quid for this?

s-l225.jpg

Link Removed

Or for about 40 quid get a Copilot or similar app for trucks loaded on to a hudl that I don't use .
Thanks

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Got a posh one (Garmin Camper) and one of these.

Not a great deal between them TBH, except for the price and the fact that the updates can't be downloaded on the Chinese one

A lot of people rate co-pilot, but I have no experience of that. The Garmin (760?) is very good

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Got a posh one (Garmin Camper) and one of these.
Thanks Pyro.
I've got an A-Z Cabbies mate, which cost me £350.
It's a great sat nav for car. It hasn't got EU maps or truck function, so don't really want to pay out a fortune for another for motorhome.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
To be honest, the cheapy unit (Xcody) is good value, very fast acquisition and I can't fault it. You can enter sizes etc as a profile, fairly decent music player as well. Runs on Windows CE which is long in the tooth, and if you can work out how to update it, or anyone can tell me, then it is good for the money

Let us know what you decode, it would be interesting to hear what others think

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Or for about 40 quid get a Copilot or similar app for trucks loaded on to a hudl that I don't use .
I think about £40 will buy you the car version of Copilot but the truck version is a considerable amount more. There is now a Caravan/camper version that is priced somewhere between the two.
Copilot can be fussy about having up to date OS on some platforms so before you shell out make sure your Hudl will be compatible. I wanted to put it on an old iPad and it wasn't up to date enough to run the app.

Richard.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I think about £40 will buy you the car version of Copilot but the truck version is a considerable amount more. There is now a Caravan/camper version that is priced somewhere between the two.
Copilot can be fussy about having up to date OS on some platforms so before you shell out make sure your Hudl will be compatible. I wanted to put it on an old iPad and it wasn't up to date enough to run the app.

Richard.

Thanks for that,(y)
If I go down that route, I'll download the co-pilot trial 1st before, to see if it is compatible then.
I downloaded Sygic truck trial last night on hudl to see how it is. Seemed to load ok, I need to try it in anger though.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I get back to the UK in mid March , I will be selling my Garmin Nuvi 465T with garmin bean bag holder with EU maps.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you will be using it in Europe, then Sygic will hobble you a bit. Personal POI's have to be loaded by country into Sygic, via their weird format, so if you wanted to load a POI set that was not geographically divided then not possible. I have both CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck, and prefer CoPilot.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you will be using it in Europe, then Sygic will hobble you a bit. Personal POI's have to be loaded by country into Sygic, via their weird format, so if you wanted to load a POI set that was not geographically divided then not possible. I have both CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck, and prefer CoPilot.
I have been using the bog standard sygic and even paid the £20 or whatever it was for the upgrade, very pleased with it, and it uses tom tom maps and updates frequently and find there's more than enough poi s already on it for what I need, but saying all this I have used " here" maps for a couple of years compleatly free all over Europe and never been lost , but find sygic gives more detail of lane changes and stuff.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In fact Julie still has ,here, on her phone so when we get out and about we shall maybe compare them on the road.
One other thing about sygic, it reroutes immediately without telling you and faffing about if you take a wrong turn.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

Thanks for that.(y)
I loaded up UK and French maps on Sygic last night, I'll give it a try in UK, I'll also trial the CoPilot.
I've always managed with the Michelin route finder and my trusty navigator, when we've driven the car in France.
But now I've got a 7.5m beast, I want some sort of truck Nav.

I might get a Chinese one and get an app as fall back

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
When I get back to the UK in mid March , I will be selling my Garmin Nuvi 465T with garmin bean bag holder with EU maps.

Is it Rubbish then?
I've just looked on-line for that model.
I'm used to a bigger screen now, so wouldn't want to go back to smaller unit.
thanks anyway(y)

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I have been using the bog standard sygic and even paid the £20 or whatever it was for the upgrade, very pleased with it, and it uses tom tom maps and updates frequently and find there's more than enough poi s already on it for what I need, but saying all this I have used " here" maps for a couple of years compleatly free all over Europe and never been lost , but find sygic gives more detail of lane changes and stuff.

thanks(y)
What are using the Sygic app on?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is it Rubbish then?
I've just looked on-line for that model.
I'm used to a bigger screen now, so wouldn't want to go back to smaller unit.
thanks anyway(y)

No not rubbish, not used it much but prefer Copilot, which seems quicker and easier to use. But that's not a good thing to put when selling something :whistle:

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
No not rubbish, not used it much but prefer Copilot, which seems quicker and easier to use. But that's not a good thing to put when selling something :whistle:
By the time you sell it, it will be the best Sat Nav on the planet, but you have no use for it, coz your family have bought you a new one.:D

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
By the time you sell it, it will be the best Sat Nav on the planet, but you have no use for it, coz your family have bought you a new one.:D

Very true (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back