Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
if you are using a normal sat nav (ie not motorhome or truck specific) is there a way of keeping you off little b roads for instance, even though that might be the straightest or quickest route to your destination ? garry

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Sat nav virgin

Hi I have a Snooper Truckmate designed specifically for trucks (although this one also has quite a number of caravan sites stored in its memory. You set it up with the the dimensions of your motor home before you start and its supposed to take you on suitable roads for your size of vehicle. It can not always be relied on though and we have found ourselves on a narrow unsuitable road occasionally.

Caravan Club sell them with all their caravan sites pre programmed if that interests you.

Really I like mine for peace of mind, warning about speed cameras and giving me 700 yards warning of turns, roundabouts, and lane switches on the motorway.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
An ordinary TomTom set to the fastest route will give priority to A roads and motorways over B and unclassified roads.
Although I now have a Truckmate, before I had it, if the road it wanted me to turn into looked too narrow then I just ignored it, when it would then give me another route. Any bridge low enough to be a problem to a motorhome (less than 3m headroom) would usually be well signposted in advance.
Best to get one that allows you to put in your dimensions, but remember, none are infallable, you still need to use common sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've found with my TomTom that if I set if for fastest route it normally takes me along the main roads, with only the B roads towards the end of the trip.

:winky:Shortest route takes you through all the back roads!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I never just blindly follow sat nav, not after a couple of hairy trips when I had a caravan :Eeek: I always check the route with a good old truckers atlas.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
An ordinary TomTom set to the fastest route will give priority to A roads and motorways over B and unclassified roads.
Although I now have a Truckmate, before I had it, if the road it wanted me to turn into looked too narrow then I just ignored it, when it would then give me another route. Any bridge low enough to be a problem to a motorhome (less than 3m headroom) would usually be well signposted in advance.
Best to get one that allows you to put in your dimensions, but remember, none are infallable, you still need to use common sense.

I second that, bear in mind most roads are widest at their entrance and will get narrower as you proceed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have the motorhome/caravan version of tomtom
and it works well......on "fastest".
But its always worth checking on a paper map at the beginning of a long journey to get your bearings.

Luckily my co pilot ( SWMBO) enjoys looking at out position on a real map as we make progress.

best of both worlds

barry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've tried all the satnavs TT Garmin and the truck specific ones all have limitations.
Personally I think the truck specific are a waste of money and no better than a cheap basic model which is all we ever use now and prefer Garmin to TT. Check a map first and decide on your route then put waypoints in so the satnav takes you where you want to go. Whenever we don't look at a map and trust the satnav we always end up having a interesting few hours, did it last month in the Alps :ROFLMAO: luckily we never panic and theres always a good tale to tell later over a beer.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back