sat nav virgin !,

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

if you are using a normal sat nav (ie not motorhome or truck specific) is there a way of keeping you off little b roads for instance, even though that might be the straightest or quickest route to your destination ? garry

2. Road Burner

Road Burner

Sat nav virgin

Hi I have a Snooper Truckmate designed specifically for trucks (although this one also has quite a number of caravan sites stored in its memory. You set it up with the the dimensions of your motor home before you start and its supposed to take you on suitable roads for your size of vehicle. It can not always be relied on though and we have found ourselves on a narrow unsuitable road occasionally.

Caravan Club sell them with all their caravan sites pre programmed if that interests you.

Really I like mine for peace of mind, warning about speed cameras and giving me 700 yards warning of turns, roundabouts, and lane switches on the motorway.

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

An ordinary TomTom set to the fastest route will give priority to A roads and motorways over B and unclassified roads.
    Although I now have a Truckmate, before I had it, if the road it wanted me to turn into looked too narrow then I just ignored it, when it would then give me another route. Any bridge low enough to be a problem to a motorhome (less than 3m headroom) would usually be well signposted in advance.
    Best to get one that allows you to put in your dimensions, but remember, none are infallable, you still need to use common sense.

4. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I've found with my TomTom that if I set if for fastest route it normally takes me along the main roads, with only the B roads towards the end of the trip.

:Wink:Shortest route takes you through all the back roads!

5. golly

golly Funster

I never just blindly follow sat nav, not after a couple of hairy trips when I had a caravan :Eeek: I always check the route with a good old truckers atlas.

• Like Like x 2
  6. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I second that, bear in mind most roads are widest at their entrance and will get narrower as you proceed.

7. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I have the motorhome/caravan version of tomtom
    and it works well......on "fastest".
    But its always worth checking on a paper map at the beginning of a long journey to get your bearings.

Luckily my co pilot ( SWMBO) enjoys looking at out position on a real map as we make progress.

best of both worlds

barry

8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've tried all the satnavs TT Garmin and the truck specific ones all have limitations.
    Personally I think the truck specific are a waste of money and no better than a cheap basic model which is all we ever use now and prefer Garmin to TT. Check a map first and decide on your route then put waypoints in so the satnav takes you where you want to go. Whenever we don't look at a map and trust the satnav we always end up having a interesting few hours, did it last month in the Alps :Rofl1: luckily we never panic and theres always a good tale to tell later over a beer.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1