sat nav questions ?

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by greyman1, Jul 27, 2014.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

never having had a set nav before ,i am on a bit of a learning curve, so please bear with me if the answers to these questions are somewhat obvious. but i would rather ask them, than cock up all the factory settings by pressing buttons willy nilly!! it is a pro nav [chinese i presume] truck unit with european maps [there seems to be a choice of 3 mapping systems actually 2 igo and a sygic ,] .does any one know which is the best to use? i have set the vans dimensions and it shows them in ft and ins and the road speed limits show in mph [for uk obviously], does this automatically adjust to meters and kph when you cross the channel or do you have to start going into settings when you get there ? also apparently you can play the directions voice thru the fm on the stereo HOW ?? thanks guys. garry

2. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

well it seems my questions were not so dumb after all ! [30 views so far but not a single reply !]

3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I have the igo and it works great just spent 3 weeks in France recently and didn't send me down any narrow roads. I put my dimensions into it and asked it to keep us off toll roads and it worked a treat. (y)

4. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Forgot to add you can change to metric in settings but don't forget to take speed warning off when in France, you have to do this any time you witch it on over there. If you use the search box above you Avatar for Chinese sat nav you will find all you need to know.

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

There is no need to change your units when you go abroad unless you want to. It just means it will tell you 'in x miles/yards' rather than in metres. The speed limit warnings will still work as it just converts eg 50kph to 30mph. There are (Ithink ) no speed cameras in it for France, but if there are you must turn them off. I use the igo maps and they seem to be excellent, often giving a more sensible route than the TomTom and Snooper (I am a sad git and use three satnavs, a sort of navigating by committee, I have a casting vote)

6. lunarman

lunarman Funster

To be clear in France you should disable warning of speed cameras and not the warnings that you are overspeed. The latter I find particularly useful if you donot understand the road signage when entering towns and villges.

john