Sat Nav in Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rosalan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Making a fairly major tour of Spain and relying on my 3yr old Tom Tom, we encountered major problems in just about every city. From San Sebastion on, the roads on TomTom bore little relation to the many new city roads. I could (should?) have paid £60+ pounds a year for updates but being too tight with cash, suffered the consequences. The answer was to buy a new Garmin with the lifetime updates that Tom Tom included just after we bought it. I could not justify buying the 'Caravan' model at over £300. Has anyone had problems in Spain with their Garmin.? I have ordered a Nuvi 2699 LMT.
    Alan

2. TerryL

TerryL Funster

For years I a nuvi250 with the updates - which at the time was a one-off payment. Totally reliable everywhere we went and I still use it in the car. For the van I was given a TomTom Live 1005 which I now update every year and I'm more than happy with it. However I tend not to rely on satnavs too much and always have a map handy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Our old Garmin Nuvi 500 tried to take us down one side of the Harbour at Cartagena then onto a pier before announcing "Navigate off Road" as the Fort we were attempting to go to was on the other side. The Nuvi would also try to take us down narrow streets, as it was a car satnav and not customisable for larger vehicles. It got affected by lightning. It now starts every time at Estepona and tries to route to Gibraltar as a default, a further problem was it lost a lot of its memory capacity.

We now have the Dezl Truck satnav 7" screen and it had avoided routing us through the centre of towns. It has Truck, also a with trailer option. Motorhome, Motorhome with trailer. We set the length, width, height and vehicle weight or train weight. Setting these options it will take different routes to a desired location. Well worth the bit extra.

I have looked at Tom Tom and think the Garmin mapping is so much clearer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oddly, no issues in Spain with our new garmin ( the one we got from Lidl ) but here in the UK it has stuck us up some roads not even suitable for a push bike !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have found my Garmin Nuvi very reliable in Spain except for unknown reasons around Burgos o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. markh

markh

I've got a garmin nuvi 2598 LMT-D, and have used it a lot in Spain, sadly it does send you the most direct route, which caught us out a bit near Kiko Park, we use an ipad with maps.me running offline to back up the sat nav. I've been looking at the Garmin camper 760, but it gets very mixed reviews, now it could be that people aren't setting it up properly, but I don't know anyone who has one, so I'm not convinced yet either way

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Probably too late now but you can still get the 760 Camper for £179.99 in Aldi stores (they will transfer between branches if your local store doesn't have one). Probably not much more than the 2699 costs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Though I have not found it a great problem, as I tend to avoid motorways abroad, and that seems to be where the new roads are built. I have noticed that my TomTom in particular seems to have out of date maps, even if you update them every time a new one comes out, usually quarterly, it seems to be years before some of the new roads appear on the SatNav. I have only updated my Snooper once in the 5 years I have had it and it seems just as up to date as the TomTom.

9. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Whoops! I did not see this one coming.... Drat! My Garmin arrives today.
    Last date was in March I think and was then £199

10. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Well at least I tried!(y)
    Sorry if I've got you "annoyed".(n):cry:

• Like Like x 1
  11. busby

busby Funster

How did we manage with just a map years ago,,,BUSBY.

12. keith

keith Funster

We got lost ..... and probably enjoyed it more. :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  13. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Still Got my 2003 Michelin Maps for France and Spain Are they "Valuable Antiques" Yet?.

Pete

• Like Like x 1