Sat Nav Garmin Camper Deluxe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wessex wanderer, Sep 9, 2012.

1. wessex wanderer

wessex wanderer Read Only Funster

Hi,

This is a “new” sat nav model from Garmim. Is anyone using it? I have a TomTom live which is not working for me..lol. Could do with some help.. (I do use the conventioal paper maps).

See link for info

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/moreformembers/club-navigation/free-map-updates-for-life/

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I think another marketing ploy--
    Sat nav for--
    bikes
    trucks
    caravans
    bus

all the same --just adjust the software settings on any one to do all:thumb:

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300T a couple of years ago. Now discontinued but Halfords are still offering it at £79.90. I bought a lifetime maps upgrade subscription, still available at £75 according to the Garmin web site.

PoIs are available free from plenty of web sites, usually free if produced by a company (including C&CC).

I still question the value of being able to put in vehicle measurements as, so far as I know, none of the sat nav manufacturers have updated their mapping databases to include other than legally restricted roads - fine for heights and weights but many narrow roads have only a physical, not legal, restriction so the software doesn't recognise them.

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Height and width downloads are available on line for about a tenner each but I just watch the road signs :thumb:

5. busby

busby Funster

They are handy in a city but maps do not tell lies. Managed with maps for 60 years on bikes cars and campers so they must work.

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Busby I thought like you until my brother lent me his to go somewhere I went to Halfords the next day and purchased my own. I still have a quick check on the map when I put route in but think they are great and wonder now how I stuck with a map for so long

7. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I had an all singing and dancing Garmin for a year (2011/2012). I told it my sizes and weights but the damn thing still took me along roads you wouldn't even take the car. Got shot and bought some new maps instead. It's just so unreliable with a lot of these Satnavs. One instance I was taken down a road 2 metres wide and on another occassion through a town with a weight limit of 1.75 tonne.
    Good luck with any choice you make and if it works tell us ALL.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I should have also said that we also use maps - was an "ordinary" road atlas but we bought a Truckers Atlas earlier this year. If we have an AtoZ of the area(s) we're going through/to I put those in the van as well. They help avoid narrow roads and crowded town centres.

9. wessex wanderer

wessex wanderer Read Only Funster

Thanks for all your replies Guys, most useful, I think I'll stick with the Truckers map that I have and perhaps perceiver with the TomTom..:thumb: