Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
don t think i will bother with a sat nav !!! far too much trouble !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

for ever young :thumb::thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Pat

Thanks to UK Motorhomes - Motorhomes, motorcaravans and camper vans in the UK - information for all motorhome users for the following: ......

No new speed limits or limiters for motorhomes

Recent speculation (August 2007) has suggested that there are to be new speed limits introduced for large motorhomes (over 7.5 tonnes), and even that they might be required to have speed limiters fitted, to comply with recent legislation for goods vehicles.

We questioned VOSA to get the latest information.

They told us:

"Regarding speed limits, provided the motor homes are "motor caravans" then they are subject to passenger vehicle speed limits, which are 70 mph on a motorway or dual carriageway and 60mph on other roads unless a lower speed limit applies, provided the unladen weight (not MAM) is not over 3050 kg.
If the UW is over 3050 kg then the speed limits are 70 mph on a motorway, 60 mph dual carriageway and 50 mph on other roads."

See our FAQs page for a speed limit table

"Provided that motor homes are not constructed to carry more than 8 passengers, or used to carry goods or burden other than those items necessary for the purpose of living in the vehicle, then they are not subject to speed limiter fitment regardless of weight. They are considered as "motor caravans" which are passenger vehicles with as many passsenger seats that the vehicle was designed to transport so excluding from the passenger count seats in living or seating areas not intended for use in transport."

'Living vans', i.e. motorhomes which carry goods or burden not directly necessary for the purpose of living in the vehicle, are classed as goods vehicles and subject to current goods vehicle requirements for speed limits and the fitting of speed limiters.

"Goods vehicles up to and including 3500 kg MAM do not and will not need a speed limiter. Those over 3500 kg but not over 7500 kg MAM newer than 1 October 2001 need or will need a peed limiter. Those over 7500kg but not over 12,000kg MAM newer than 1August 1992, and those over 12,000 kg MAM newer than 1 January 1988 also need a speed limiter."

'Living vans' are most commonly those motorhomes used by, for example, motorcycle race teams where part of the vehicle is used as storage or workshop purposes, (TOY HAULERS!) the definition will also include any motorhome used to carry goods for exhibition or sale, for example traders at motorhome shows that carry stock, equipment, etc., in the vehicle. Owners who think that their use of a motorhome could mean that it is classified as a living van would be well advised to acquaint themselves with goods vehicle legislation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I never use my sat nav to warn me of safety cameras, I just rely on it now and again to check either I'm not speeding or that I'm going in the right direction (speedo reads up to 10% too high).

If I ever followed the blessed thing to the letter I would now be driving a convertible Hymer :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Still speeding ticket free after 30 years of driving ...... probably by luck more than anything ........ not that I deliberately break the speed limit. :Blush:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I managed without a sat nav for years. I couldnt seem to be able to justify buying one.

As far as I was concerned I knew my way around the country like the back of my hand and if I wasnt sure which way to go I asked somebody.

I bought a cheap one two weeks ago under pressure from my mates at work. Its a Binatone Carrera.

We used it to take the motorhome on a weekend to the midlands last weekend.

It was great, it took us right to the front door of the campsite with no hassle at all. In addition it took me a way that I would not have chosen and saved me money by not using the M6 Toll.

Normally we would have some google directions and a map. I would be asking my missus "Which Way Next", She would be looking at the map and saying "Hang On A Minute". I would be saying "I Cant Bl**** Hang On".

This would cause the inevitable argument between us about not knowing where we were going. The tension levels would rise and it was no fun at all.

Now my missus can sit back and relax, no hassle, no tension, brilliant.

We already have it programmed for our European Tour Next Week.

It does have Speed Camera locations on it but I have that function turned off. I cant see the point in it because I genuinley do not speed in the mh.

If I get past 55mph on a motorway thats plenty. I tend to drive at least 10mph below the speed limit everywhere else.

Leaving aside obeying the law of the land it makes sense for all of the reasons that Lindy gave.

Now I woudnt be without my sat nav.

Cheers

Jim :thumb:

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Detecting speed cameras

Yes they are legal as they are not detecting cameras but using POIs.
BUT they are NOT legal in Switzerland.

No, they're NOT legal. Turn it off at the settings if you are not comfortable with it when it makes a noise after detecting a camera or whatever. Read the small print and they will tell you to observe the laws of the countries you pass through. Be careful I say

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
No, they're NOT legal.
The following is from a DoT related website;

It is currently 100% legal to use a speed camera detector in the UK to warn of all speed camera locations - fixed and mobile. Legislation implemented on the 27th January 1998 made the detection of speed cameras a lawful activity.
More recently the Government, through the Road Safety Bill, is reviewing the use of speed camera detectors and their technologies in the UK. The Road Safety Bill looks to ban speed camera jammers and detectors.

To fully understand the implications of the bill first you need to understand the different types of speed camera detectors that are available in the UK. There are currently three different technologies that a speed camera detector could utilise to detect and warn of an approaching speed camera. Speed camera detectors can use Radar detection, Laser detection and GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) a combination of one, two or all three of the technologies can be used. As a Radar detector warns by detecting a camera in the road ahead. Legality of these systems are under review, as they potentially allow a motorist to drive above the speed limit without facing prosecution through an in active road side speed camera. GPS systems such as the Origin b2 warn via a national database of speed camera locations, whether the road side speed camera contains operational equipment or is simply empty. GPS based speed camera warning systems can be viewed and purchase at the online retailer ActiveGPS.co.uk.

The following is an extract from the Department for Transport (DFT) website "The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads."

Last edited:
C

Cjay

Deleted User

It is currently 100% legal to use a speed camera detector in the UK to warn of all speed camera locations - fixed and mobile. Legislation implemented on the 27th January 1998 made the detection of speed cameras a lawful activity.
More recently the Government, through the Road Safety Bill, is reviewing the use of speed camera detectors and their technologies in the UK. The Road Safety Bill looks to ban speed camera jammers and detectors.

To fully understand the implications of the bill first you need to understand the different types of speed camera detectors that are available in the UK. There are currently three different technologies that a speed camera detector could utilise to detect and warn of an approaching speed camera. Speed camera detectors can use Radar detection, Laser detection and GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) a combination of one, two or all three of the technologies can be used. As a Radar detector warns by detecting a camera in the road ahead. Legality of these systems are under review, as they potentially allow a motorist to drive above the speed limit without facing prosecution through an in active road side speed camera. GPS systems such as the Origin b2 warn via a national database of speed camera locations, whether the road side speed camera contains operational equipment or is simply empty. GPS based speed camera warning systems can be viewed and purchase at the online retailer ActiveGPS.co.uk.

The following is an extract from the Department for Transport (DFT) website "The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads."

What relevance does this have to wether they are legal on the continent?

Q. Continental touring - are they legal?

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

Yes all very nice but as the heading does say
CONTINENTAL TOURING
surely all of this is totally irrelevent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one
Lady Jann
At the end of the day the police in France are just that, they are police in France they are not out there to pull over any vehicle with GB plates. They will only stop you if you deserve to be stopped, even then they will not strip your Sat Nav down to see if it detects cameras or not. Go to France and have a good time, the country is fantastic and the French people are even fantastica

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
What relevance does this have to wether they are legal on the continent?

Q. Continental touring - are they legal?
This was the original question
does anyone know if the sat naves that can detect speed cameras are legal??

my last post was in reply to
No, they're NOT legal.

So.....very 'relevant' in that instead of making sweeping general assumptions that they are illegal...period, in some they are permitted, in others they are not.

For a complete and more defining list see here;Link Removed

Three of the countries listed which prohibits the use of any 'detection equipment', i recently travelled through with no problem whatsoever. As for Switzerland i could virtually guarantee if pulled by the Police there, they would be keen to practice their english with you and be more interested in knowing what parts of their country you have toured than wagging the finger and dishing out fines.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back