Sat nav and GPS

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Dog lover, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Dog lover

Dog lover Read Only Funster

Hi all.
    I am aware that I'm firstly probably asking something that has already been asked or sounds stupid. But here goes any way.

We are about to purchace a sat nav, I notice that there are plus's and minus's for all. I also notice that there are GPS settings for aires and sites throughout Europe. My question is this.
    Can anyone recomend a Sat nav with european mapping and is there one that that has GPS??:Smile:

2. olley

olley Funster

Hi Doglover most if not all satnavs have Europeon mapping available, and most will allow third party POI's (Points Of Interest) to be loaded. GPS is an acronym for Global Positioning System, which is how all satnavs work

Olley

3. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Hi
    I have a Tom Tom One V3 with european mapping and it worked a treat on our 1 month trip to France this year useing aires
    Cost about £75
    Happy daze
    Chrisboyo

4. dshague

dshague Funster

hi there its tom tom for me :thumb:

5. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Garmin for me:thumb:

6. quicksam

quicksam Read Only Funster

TomTom one here, it's guided me round Europe many times - easy to use, easy to set up and the maps are readily downloadable from the internet - :Nowink::Nowink:

7. blueraven

blueraven Read Only Funster

Tomtom

Hi there
    It's another vote for Tom Tom, we have TomTom One with europe maps, make sure you have a backup on your computer before updating via tomtom home, i made one as instructed (or so I thought) but it didn back up the maps, i lost them and it took four days for tomtom to answer the phone on their helpline, once they answered, extremely helpful man helped me re-load them after he credited my account with replacements and i downloaded them. it broke on Sunday, we left for Hull-Rotterdam Wednesday at 3.30pm. I had it fixed at 3.20pm Wednesday:cry-smile:

The TomTom has come out as one of the top rated for ease of use, I would wholeheartedly concur with that, you pick the country and touch it's map you're going to (all touch screen) put in the town name then the address or you can simple put in the postcode if you know it. We toured Germany and Austria via Rotterdam crossing in August and we never got lost once. Ab brill. :thumb:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Another TT fan.. TT One XL Europe .. ticks all the boxes.. :thumb:

no bells or whistles.. intuitive and easy to use.

9. Dog lover

Dog lover Read Only Funster

Thanks all. Youv'e all given me something to ponder!

10. joe50

joe50 Read Only Funster

I have a Tom Tom for three years. One of best accessories I bought for motorhoming. It brought be down one or two very narrow roads over that time. Other than that - great especially when abroad.

To be honest I don't think there is a huge difference between TT and Garmin.:Smile:

11. Baggins

Baggins Read Only Funster

TomTom classic (old model without integral stand) with Europe does all it says on the box - paid £80 about 6 months ago as upgrading my TT UK and Ireland would have cost £60.

Some one-way systems in towns - I remember Lisbon especially!! - give it problems but this may just be updates needed.

BW

12. Stroudwaterboy

Stroudwaterboy Funster

I have ended up with both Tom Tom and Garmin, don't ask I didn't mean too!

As with most tech kit they work fine and both do the job, you get to your destination without getting lost just in slightly different ways.

Be careful they do not all do Europe and if you have to add it on it is often cheaper to buy a new unit (you guessed)

13. navman

navman Read Only Funster

Again TT for me... Have had it in several forms... In an IPAQ Smart phone and now on the IPhone. Great bit of kit

14. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I'm interested in putting TomTom on my iPhone 3G but have read some bad reviews. Would you recommend it and if so how good is it.

Pete:Cool:

15. navman

navman Read Only Funster

Hi

As you would expect the interface is just the business. There are a couple of down sides at this time.

You cannot import any POIs of your own and very occasionally mine looses the GPS signal in the car. Now this may be because of the case my IPhone is in I am not sure. Strangely enough it works perfectly in the motorhome.

They are bringing out a holder that will have a GPS unit in it so the IPhone will connect to that and the power supply when in the screen holder. Not too sure how that will work if your phone has a case on.

Overall I think it is a great bit of kit and I am sure as the upgrades come along the POI issue will be addressed.:thumb:

16. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Both TomTom and Garmin are good, I have over the years used both, one thing to remember when using sat navs though is to never disengage the brain (drivers brain), if a road that it wants to take you down looks not quite right go past it the satnav will plot an alternative route if you miss a turning. I still have a quick check of a route on my computor or road map when going somewhere strange to me.

17. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Tom Tom

Got my Tom Tom one xl Europe from Halfords. Apparently its easier to update than Garmin or so the man at Halfords said Don't know if thats true but v happy with TT :thumb:

18. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

I use a TomTom 700 which is considered 'old' now but at the time they came out it was TT's top of the range job selling at the astronomical figure of over £300. I paid £90 for mine off eBay a couple of years ago so i would think you could probably get one for around £70 if you look carefully. This model has a large internal hard drive.

Mine came with full Western Europe mapping but i uprated to the latest version and also added Eastern europe.

As a solo traveller i've found it extremely useful but as someone else has also pointed out no GPS is 100% foolproof and there will be times when it indicates you are driving across a field even though you are on a road. Bit weird when it first occurs but you soon get used to it and keep going until the direction arrow 'finds' the road again. This usually happens when a new section of roadway has been laid.

The other downside is roadworks which once again no GPS can predict. Whilst in Germany this year i lost count of the number of roads i came across entirely blocked off due to roadworks. You just have to keep driving around until the GPS re-writes another route out!

19. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

I use IGO2008 on a chinese 7" HD screen c/w POIs from ARCHIESCAMPINGS - Unbeatable IMHO :BigGrin:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi
    so what hardware do you use to run IGO 2008 on ?

jim