Sat Finder App, help please.

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Teasy2007, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, I know this must sound like a very silly question - but - before I buy the Satellite Finder app for my ipad could someone please confirm that it will work even if I am not connected to the internet.??

Ginny

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I used to use it (can't remember if it worked without Internet but see no reason why it would need Internet to work)
    I stopped using it and have one of those smart LNBs with the light on.. Worked much better so don't have the app anymore

3. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Yes, it does work on both an iPad Mini or an iPhone. Just make sure you use it portrait mode not landscape. It can give false readings otherwise.
    John

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

plenty of free apps that do the same thing just as well. they rely on the gps part of your phone to detect position and give a good indication of which direction to point the dish. fine tuning still requires a meter or on screen bars on the tv though. be aware if trying to tune in sky, you need to move the dishe very slowly to pinpoint the satellite as the skybox has a delay in responding to any changes to the lnb

i use satellite director on my phone to indicate which area of the sky to look at then a £10 meter of ebay to finetune the signal. generally takes a minute or so

5. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

6. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

You only require your ipad's GPS position and a free Sat Finder App.

As already stated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I use a two quid compass....never let me down yet. :Laughing:

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

ah the trusty compass, great till you are on a site in wales where the hardstandings are made from ironstone slag. so its basically magnetic in nature and moving a few inches can change the compass bearing by 20 degrees:Rofl1:

with the phone, its not affected and because the phones always on me and the app is free, it saves messing about looking for the old compass then remembering the position of the satellite you're looking for. simply set the app to the satellite you need (it remembers the setting) and turn the phone in the indicated direction till it shows you exactly which direction to point the dish in. technology is sometimes a great benefit and although the old ways still work it makes tasks so much easier and idiot proof

9. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

BBC Iplayer

Does anyone know if its possible to 'keep' the progs longer than the BBC iplayer allows. And play them at a later date?